PG&E VHF freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockettradio

Has PG&E completely vacated / deprecated their VHF frequencies?
I still hear some very weak signals on 153.575 in the South Bay.
FCC still shows current licenses, maybe they're smart and still holding onto all those radios for fallback.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ecv3

Has PG&E completely vacated / deprecated their VHF frequencies?
I still hear some very weak signals on 153.575 in the South Bay.
FCC still shows current licenses, maybe they're smart and still holding onto all those radios for fallback.

I would like to know the same thing. They have ben doing a lot of work from El Cerrito thru wildcat canyon to Orinda. And that is near me so I would like to hear some of it.

curtissac

They have not completely vacated VHF. If you're hearing weak signals in the Bay Area, and it's actually PG&E you're hearing, it's probably from the Sierras ot north coast areas where they still use it along with UHF. Work in the Bay Area is probably all UHF now.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Most of PG&E in the more populated areas of Central California, bay area, etc. are using MPT trunking systems on VHF. Newer PG&E trucks I've seen all have Tait MPT VHF radios in them.
I'd be really surprised if they gave up any of their VHF channels. Clear VHF channels are very hard to come by in this portion of the state. They would be very valuable and nearly impossible to replace. If they were not using licensed VHF channels actively, I'd suspect they'd get rolled into the MPT systems.

rockettradio

Digging through the FCC database, looks like 153.575 is licensed district wide for their construction activities, with 1000+ mobiles. Curt is probably right for some of the more rural divisions. I'll plug some of the more common old VHF freqs in and let it run for a few weeks.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Most of PG&E in the more populated areas of Central California, bay area, etc. are using MPT trunking systems on VHF. Newer PG&E trucks I've seen all have Tait MPT VHF radios in them.
I'd be really surprised if they gave up any of their VHF channels. Clear VHF channels are very hard to come by in this portion of the state. They would be very valuable and nearly impossible to replace. If they were not using licensed VHF channels actively, I'd suspect they'd get rolled into the MPT systems.

Their MPT trunked system is all UHF, not VHF. They are keeping the VHF channels though for now but only for local construction work etc. I'm not sure the repeaters are maintained or in place anymore, at least in the Sac valley. Just the licensing and then using them simplex on a job.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Their MPT trunked system is all UHF, not VHF. They are keeping the VHF channels though for now but only for local construction work etc. I'm not sure the repeaters are maintained or in place anymore, at least in the Sac valley. Just the licensing and then using them simplex on a job.

OK, thanks. My bad. I was sure their MPT system was VHF.

Still, looking at VHF frequencies in central California and how hard they are to come by, I really doubt PG&E would willingly give up any of theirs. They are just too valuable.

kma371

QRT
just confirmed 153.515 is still in use for the central valley. heard some activity this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.