PG&E VHF Removal/lack of use

Status
Not open for further replies.

officer_415

Database Admin
Is it maybe time to start pulling the VHF frequencies from the database? I plugged all of the bay area freqs into my scanner during the storms today and didn't get a peep, except for the morse identifer on 153.725 (Mt. Vaca)

Seems that pretty much all operations in the Bay Area have transitioned to the new system...

Norman

Old Frequencies:
Over the weekend, I heard traffic on 153.710, they were working on an outage I believe it was up the
Hwy 50 canyon. First traffic I've heard there in a long time.
Norm.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
They're still being used out there. I don't know if the base radios have been removed from the mountain tops but as long as there's a license and the equipment exists somewhere then it's fair game to be in the database.

What can be done is a note can be put in the descriptions. Once someone can 100% confirm removal then the entry can be marked deprecated.

mkewman

I think I remember seeing a whole bunch of licenses for their VHF stuff in northern California get renewed... can't remember which county. They're keeping it around for a little while longer in the rural areas it looks like.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Re: PG&E VHF Removal/lack of use

I think I remember seeing a whole bunch of licenses for their VHF stuff in northern California get renewed... can't remember which county. They're keeping it around for a little while longer in the rural areas it looks like.
VHF freqs still in continuous use in Humboldt County. 800 has been licensed here for years but nary a peep. Our rugged topography and redwood & pine forests don't help it propagate, which is main reason CalTrans and State Parks both returned to VHF lo and high after dabbling in 800 twenty years ago.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I've been picking up traffic on SMUD & PG&E VHF freqs from Sacramento county. The transmissions I've picked up sound to me like they are "up the hill" most likely in El Dorado county.

cgwheeler

PG&E's VHF system is still being used as an alternate in areas were the new UHF trunked system still hasn't been completely built out. While they try to use the trunked system first, they have kept the VHF remote bases and mobiles that work the mountainous areas in the Sierra and north state. If you are in the bay area, you won't hear much, if anything, on VHF. But as mentioned above, it is still used as an alternate system in areas like the highway 50 corridor east of El Dorado Hills.

officer_415

Database Admin
PG&E's VHF system is still being used as an alternate in areas were the new UHF trunked system still hasn't been completely built out. While they try to use the trunked system first, they have kept the VHF remote bases and mobiles that work the mountainous areas in the Sierra and north state. If you are in the bay area, you won't hear much, if anything, on VHF. But as mentioned above, it is still used as an alternate system in areas like the highway 50 corridor east of El Dorado Hills.

Thank you. I was referring more specifically to the bay area VHF frequencies, so that helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.