PGFD Radio Switchover 11/7/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

pasadenamd

Radio Switchover Date Nears for PGFD
MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930

The Prince George’s County Fire/Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Department is very close to switching over to the County’s upgraded radio system. Over the past several months Fire/EMS apparatus have had the new radios installed and portable radios distributed to stations and support personnel. The Fire/EMS Department has been simulcasting over both the old and new frequencies during the transition period and this practice will cease at switchover. The Fire/EMS main dispatch channel will be the only channel that can be monitored on conventional scanners on VHF 155.685. The Department will soon join our public safety partners that have been operating on the new radio system for over a year. The total switchover to the 700 MHZ public safety communications radio system is anticipated to occur on November 7, 2011.

Monitoring of the 700 MHZ frequencies is capable only on a GRE PSR-800 scanner that is available at select retailers. Please keep in mind that this not an endorsement of this particular scanner, however, it is the only commercially available scanner capable of monitoring our new frequencies.

Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department: Radio Switchover Date Nears for PGFD

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Interesting that they mention the PSR-800, even though it isn't an 'endorsement' - wonder who told them about this radio - or did they read it here? :.>>

Mike

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Interesting that they mention the PSR-800, even though it isn't an 'endorsement' - wonder who told them about this radio - or did they read it here? :.>>

Mike

It's pretty common knowledge in the radio industry, in particular those dealing with P25 systems, that the PSR-800 is the only scanner currently available that will decode any form of TDMA. It's not a big secret, and certainly not something these guys needed RR for to figure out. ;)

I think the bigger point of the announcement is how nice it is to see a public safety agency making all this info publicly available, including letting people know what scanner will work with the new system. Certainly a far cry from the trend of agencies moving towards encrypted systems.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I usually hear PG dispatch on the UHF channels at least 2 or 3 times a day during my drive to and from work. The last couple of days I've heard practically nothing. Did the UHF side shut down on Tuesday or is it still delayed until the 14th?

best regards...Mike

chief34a

490 is still up and running. 14th is still the day as of this moment (subject to change without notice). They had some EMRC issues a couple of days ago but that seems to have been cleared up.

bmyos

It's pretty common knowledge in the radio industry, in particular those dealing with P25 systems, that the PSR-800 is the only scanner currently available that will decode any form of TDMA. It's not a big secret, and certainly not something these guys needed RR for to figure out. ;)

I think the bigger point of the announcement is how nice it is to see a public safety agency making all this info publicly available, including letting people know what scanner will work with the new system. Certainly a far cry from the trend of agencies moving towards encrypted systems.

I thank you for posting this thread!

troymail

Silent Key
Any word if the switch occured today?

I'm noticed the dispatcher is now only saying "talk group 2" vs. "channel 2, talkgroup 8A2". (oops - she just slipped and did it the old way but then corrected herself)

Also - based on the comms I'm been hearing, it seems they are using status buttons/modat functions - is this something new with the new system?

troymail

Silent Key
What we've learned in the past is that 8Ax is the north zone and 8Cx is the south side -- "talkgroup 2" is the same on all zones --

It appears that 8Bx may be the same in both north and south and can be heard on both the north and south zones.

With exception of Dispatch and Ops 1 (and possibly Ops2), 8Ax talkgroups are only heard on the north and 8Cx talkgroups are only heard on the south.

Status
Not open for further replies.