• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Phantom antenna vs carwash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, new to antennas mounted to cars and I wanted to know the general consensus on this. I see online, and feel it is common sense, to remove a normal whip antenna before going through a car wash-the properly installed NMO mounts should be waterproof. But what about a 3” tall “nub” antenna? I have one of those little nub antennas and wonder if this would be an issue. I guess the safe thing would be to remove it but I think of all the cop cars I see driving around that have these low profile antennas, just like mine, and surely they don’t remove them before washing. Thoughts?

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
What you call "little nubs," are referred to as "transit-style" antennas. I find them slightly inferior to a typical 1/4 wave whip in performance. What I have (12 total on my installation) are EM Wave antennas. They have rubber-coated springs protecting the antenna, and I never remove them for the car wash. They are all on NMO mounts, none magnetic. I've had them for several years, replacing Laird spring-loaded antennas which are prone to cracking in the plastic base.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I use a Larsen 150/450/758 antenna with the spring and do not remove it for car washes.

RFI-EMI-GUY

The roofs of new cars is becoming increasingly thin aluminium. I would be hesitant to run through a random car wash with that. At least with a 6 inch UHF 1/4 wave there was not much to grab onto and if it did get snagged, the rubber insulating grommet would give up.

OhSixTJ

The roofs of new cars is becoming increasingly thin aluminium. I would be hesitant to run through a random car wash with that. At least with a 6 inch UHF 1/4 wave there was not much to grab onto and if it did get snagged, the rubber insulating grommet would give up.

I’ve seen OEM radio antennas ripped out of the aluminum fenders they sit in. Well it was one 2015+ F150 but still...

the Way my NMOs mount in my F150 don’t concern me. They sit in a channel so I feel like they’re “reinforced”.

I wouldn’t remove a phantom antenna either way but I also don’t use drive thru car washes because I don’t hate my vehicle paint that mych

hill

Premium Subscriber
If you remove the antenna before going into a car wash you should use a NMO rain cap. Whenever the antenna isn't mounted to an NMO mount the rain cap should be on it. The part of NMO mount that is covered when the antenna is installed is really not meant to out in the elements and exposed to water, since when the antenna on it is shielded.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
FWIW, I've been in line behind a vehicle at a car wash that had its FM radio antenna ripped off. Fortunately, the owner saw it and had them stop the car wash. I've also known another person who went through the car wash, and unbeknownst to him or the people manning the car wash, an FM antenna was caught up in the roller brush. Yep, you can guess what happened.....

I use NMO rain caps for the few times I need to go through a car wash. But to be honest, what I do most of the time is just not go to a carwash. I wash my cars by hand.

a417

Maintained hundreds of them thru thousands of washes and never had one ripped off / damaged by an automatic car wash. Had a couple taken off at 40 mph by a low-hanging cable line, a few beheaded by a tree branch, but never the the car wash.

OhSixTJ

Maintained hundreds of them thru thousands of washes and never had one ripped off / damaged by an automatic car wash. Had a couple taken off at 40 mph by a low-hanging cable line, a few beheaded by a tree branch, but never the the car wash.

I counted 8 Texas DPS units missing their whips and/or entire assembly. Most had bluewave passes on the windshield :S

a417

I counted 8 Texas DPS units missing their whips and/or entire assembly. Most had bluewave passes on the windshield :S
I see now my post was missing "sharkfin" / "low profile" , and I had to google what "bluewave " meant in context, but yah...whips die hard deaths in those washes. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.