Phantom Channels in FreeScan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

axiom84

I'm using FreeScan with my Uniden BCT15X and have used the download feature in Radi Refernce to populate my San Diego frequencys. The problem is that I am logging and hearing "Channels" from the Trunking System that don't appear in FreeScan..... I've tried checking channell by channell as listed and Freescan'sSearch Box....

These channells are for school bus routes and other "City Services" that I just don't need to monitor.... As I'm new to this scanner and software, I'm hoping someone has some suggestions as to eliminate and or identify why I can't locate these rouge trunk channells....

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You may have programmed the system as a conventional system instead of a trunk. It would be helpful to know what system you are talking about. Go up to our database and let's see the entry. You need to allocate both a system and at least 1 site for trunking in this case.

It also sounds like you may have the system programmed as a trunk, but are listening to a trunk system in ID Search mode. In this mode you hear everything that comes across, regardless of what you have programmed. Checking channel by channel would have no bearing on this issue - trunking doesn't work that way. (They're not red (rouge) - by the way...(chuckle))

If that is the case, you want to be in ID Scan mode. That's the mode that will only hear what you have programmed. You will need to download (or create yourself) lists of all the talkgroups that you want to hear. This is what is known as a scan list. Make sure you set up a group for each list, and assign it a group quick key. The group quick key should then be checked on the system screen under 'TGID Group Quick Key Enable/disable'. If the box is white, it is NOT enabled. Then make sure, on that same screen, you have 'ID Scan' checked instead of 'ID Search' (middle of the form). When you've got everything set up the way you want it and do an upload, be sure to specify 'replace'

best regards..Mike

Last edited:

axiom84

Trunk & Conventional Plan

Mike,

Thank you so much for your help, based on what little of details I gave you. And I’ll be sure to use spell check in the future!
Another member of the forums who happens to live in my area was kind enough to furnish me with a FreeScan based frequency plot, and it worked successfully. I then of course was eager for more and downloaded from RAD-REF and it’s worked well, except for this anomaly.. I will readily admit I am still in the early stages of learning a small portion of what you evidently are so well versed in. Would you mind taking a look at my “Band Plan” as was downloaded to see if there is some inherent issue as you described? I added the .txt at the end of the file so it would upload... Just remove it. Much thanks again!

Attachments

• BCT15X 04-11-2011 .txt.txt
    83.8 KB · Views: 120

axiom84

Disregard previous Post & File

I've been deleting and adding so many channels that I somehow did not notice the duplicate headers….
I just started from scratch once again and pulled down both conventional and 800 Trunked again and now I’m seeing multiple errors… Did this twice so I can only assume there is some discrepancies somewhere…..
Once I get the agencys narrowed down.. And try to determine why now I'm seeing "errors" in the UPLOAD box I'll try again....

axiom84

ScaFree Proof Read?

Mike… If you or anyone else is available to proof read the attached ScanFree File (remove .txt from filename) as I removed all the known duplicates as far as I can find. The problem still exists that I am seeing / hearing Trunk Frequencies that are not on the listings anywhere. I’m missing something in the way Radio Reference compiles the downloads that may be causing this issue. I appreciate your time in tracking down what may be causing this.THANKS!!!!

Attachments

• BCT15X 05-11-2011 08-31.txt.txt
    46.5 KB · Views: 124

W2PMX

It's almost certain that you're in Search mode, not Scan mode. Press the Scan/Search button once. You should see the display change from SEARCH to SCAN. And that should solve the "hearing all talkgroups" problem. (It's not frequencies - you want to hear all the frequencies that trunked system uses. You just don't want to hear the talkgroups you don't have programmed. And don't worry, a few months and it'll all make sense.)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Assuming that Assaf's fix doesn't work, the best way to go here is not to convert the file (I can't get it back to the .996 format) - just use any one of the popular zip utilities (WinZip, etc.) and compress the file, then attach it to a message just like you did.

best regards...Mike

axiom84

It is in ID SCAN Mode

I was hoping it was that simple (for you), but it was in ID Scan mode..... And while your solving this problem, I was all happy that I was able to confiqure Audio Logging, and it works wonderfully... EXCEPT! For some odd reason, the Group listed as "MYF Field", sometimes does not record, no pattern, except it shows its in "Record", but the Log Feild is empty.... Ever experience this before? But that's a minor issue compared to the inabilty to remove those channels... Attached is the File of my nightmare. Just remove the .txt..... I think it will work this time... It didn't like my .rar attempt

THANKS!!!!

Attachments

• BCT15X 05-11-2011 16-56.996.txt
    46.7 KB · Views: 119

axiom84

Forgive me, but can you give me an example of not using the "." as I don't see exactly what you are refering to. I think I understand that you are suggesting that I assign Quick Keys 0-9 for each System, but I'm not catching what should be changed....... I should have spent more time in the "FreeScan 101 Class" that you held...

Last edited:
Forgive me, but can you give me an example of not using the "." as I don't see exactly what you are efering to. I think I understand that you are suggesting that I assign Quick Keys 0-9 for each System, but I'm not catching what shopuld be changed....... I should have spent more time in the "FreeScan 101 Class" that you held...

Check all of your Systems for the " . " key and change it to a number, so each of your systems have a different number. That way you can turn each system off and on as you wish. The same will work in the Groups.
You have the City of SD set up the way I'm talking about, just do the same for the other systems.

axiom84

Home work

Simple as this?

Attachments

• All 05-11-2011 12-15 .txt
    46.8 KB · Views: 110

axiom84

Will Monitor to see any differences

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. It hasn't all sunk in as to how each change affects its overall ops, but I'll keep at it... with your help!

Attachments

• Record All 05-11-2011 12-15 .txt
    46.8 KB · Views: 122

axiom84

Thanks for all your support "K" ........... I'm still at a loss to understand why we are receiving these "UN-assigned" channels in the Trunk.... Oh well... Something to keep chasign after and learning. Have a great day..!!!!!

JoeyC

Not sure if you've fixed your problem in the last couple months, but I've been playing with FreeScan and a new 996xt all week, and you MUST assign EVERYTHING a quick key to be able to see what you are turning on and off otherwise anything NOT assigned a quick key will scan and it will not be apparent at first glance as to why. Go through every single system in FreeScan (as well as every trunked site within a trunked system) and make sure each has a quick key assignment. If there is none, and just the (.) assigned, it is going to scan no matter what you turn on or off.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Keep in mind that Freescan (and I'm sure other packages do this too) imports everything unless you tell it to do otherwise. You can select/deselect groups to fit your interests. There are buttons on the bottom of the forms for this, and it's mentioned in the user guide.

Being aware of this, and using your quick keys correctly, will resolve this so-called 'phantom channels' issue. It's nothing more than a little misunderstanding of how the import works. As it says in item 11 of the trunk import page...

It is the user's responsibility to validate the options are all set as desired, and that all quick keys are allocated and enabled (emphasis mine)

best regards..Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.