Phase 2 ENC info request

Status
Not open for further replies.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Anyone that monitors a Moto Phase 2 simulcast system that has some encryption.

Looking to see if any Uniden models ignore encrypted traffic? I had thought all have in the past but new info says not sure.

In my area next month will be a new 700 Mhz phase 2 system where Dispatchers will be in the clear , however all officers traffic to be ENC.

Thanks for any info you can share.

Drumbum

The small,system we have here it makes a slight robotic sound then shows up as ENC on my 436HP

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
is this slight robotic sound just a real short burst or no last as long as their radio is keyed?

Does it bother you or just use to it and not bad?

Thanks for the info

[

QUOTE=Drumbum;2750120]The small,system we have here it makes a slight robotic sound then shows up as ENC on my 436HP

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

troymail

Silent Key
Jeff - to be clear - you are asking about "Moto Phase 2" which is a bit confusing.

Moto Type II vs. P25 Phase 2....

Uniden (x36) ignores "legacy" Motorola encrypted activity (except for a brief split second burst at the start). The same radio does NOT ignore P25 Phase 2 encryption - it's just digital noise.

Whistler provides the option to ignore encrypted "legacy" Motorola encrypted activity; it allows to you here P25 Phase 2 encrypted activity (no options to disable it).

The encrypted/digital noise can get on your nerves after a while...

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Bummer yes I mean phase 2 moto system

So all current scanners no matter what hear ENC noise on Phase 2 moto system

Thanks for info
bad for all
Maybe Unication will address this
[
QUOTE=troymail;2750190]Jeff - to be clear - you are asking about "Moto Phase 2" which is a bit confusing.

Moto Type II vs. P25 Phase 2....

Uniden (x36) ignores "legacy" Motorola encrypted activity (except for a brief split second burst at the start). The same radio does NOT ignore P25 Phase 2 encryption - it's just digital noise.

Whistler provides the option to ignore encrypted "legacy" Motorola encrypted activity; it allows to you here P25 Phase 2 encrypted activity (no options to disable it).

The encrypted/digital noise can get on your nerves after a while...[/QUOTE]

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
I have been asked on say a given TG yes one side in my case Dispatcher can be in the clear but the input (officers radios can be ENC)
This is done and nothing for them to set it up right?

One side clear other side ENC same TG?

QUOTE=troymail;2750196]Yes - there is a request in to Unication to mute (and/or not stop on) encryption too....[/QUOTE]

troymail

Silent Key
I just ran side-by-side tests on my TRX-1's....

Both radios programmed the exact same way - the only difference is that one has "MOT Enc Talkgroups" set to "Allow" and the other is set to "Ignore".

I loaded several systems including:

- my local Motorola Type II system (mix mode analog/digital with some encrypted talkgroups)

- several local P25 Phase 1 systems (with some encryption)

- my state Phase 2 system (with some encryption)

I allowed all talkgroups to be imported including those known to be full time encrypted.

I included a wildcard talkgroup on all systems.

Results:

Motorola Type II system - encryption is ignored on one radio and heard (default "busy signal") on the other

P25 Phase 1 - encryption ("busy signal") is heard on both radios

P25 Phase 2 - encryption ("busy signal") is heard on both radios

I will note that EZ Scan does give you the option on import to import or not import talkgroups marked as encrypted in the RRDB. You can also import and automatically lock out known encrypted talkgroups to allow for ildcard searches without stopping on known encrypted talkgroups.

I *believe* that for Motorola Type II (not P25 Phase 1 or Phase 2), if the MOT Enc Talkgroup setting is set to ignore and one side (i.e. dispatcher) is in the clear and the other side is encrypted, you would hear the clear side and nothing during the encrypted activity.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I just ran side-by-side tests on my TRX-1's....

Both radios programmed the exact same way - the only difference is that one has "MOT Enc Talkgroups" set to "Allow" and the other is set to "Ignore".

I loaded several systems including:

- my local Motorola Type II system (mix mode analog/digital with some encrypted talkgroups)

- several local P25 Phase 1 systems (with some encryption)

- my state Phase 2 system (with some encryption)

I allowed all talkgroups to be imported including those known to be full time encrypted.

I included a wildcard talkgroup on all systems.

Results:

Motorola Type II system - encryption is ignored on one radio and heard (default "busy signal") on the other

P25 Phase 1 - encryption ("busy signal") is heard on both radios

P25 Phase 2 - encryption ("busy signal") is heard on both radios

I will note that EZ Scan does give you the option on import to import or not import talkgroups marked as encrypted in the RRDB. You can also import and automatically lock out known encrypted talkgroups to allow for ildcard searches without stopping on known encrypted talkgroups.

I *believe* that for Motorola Type II (not P25 Phase 1 or Phase 2), if the MOT Enc Talkgroup setting is set to ignore and one side (i.e. dispatcher) is in the clear and the other side is encrypted, you would hear the clear side and nothing during the encrypted activity.
Talk about going above and beyond answering the question asked. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
I get concerned when I make a statement I believe is correct and it is questioned... The last thing I want to do is provide incorrect information.

I'll happily admit I'm wrong (if that's the case).

There's really only one way to find out....

BTW: forget to mention - the EZ Scan software option "MOT Enc Talkgroups" setting on the radio itself is actually labeled "M36 Enc"

Last edited:

SOFA_KING

My response to this topic is on the Whistler thread.

Bottom line? Users need full control of these features.

Phil

k3fs

I would prefer the option to unmute encrypted transmissions. I can understand not wanting to listen to encrypted noise all of the time. But, there are many instances I would like that audio unmuted. I agree the user should be in control of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.