Phase 2 IDs not always showing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhillyPhoto

So, with analog systems, the ID is sent before the transmission, so sometimes you miss who's talking. With 3600 digital systems, the ID is part of the data packet, so you'll see it switch over, even if you catch someone talking mid-sentence. I've noticed with my 436 though, on a Phase 2 system, it doesn't always show the ID. You would think it would behave more like 3600 P25 systems where it decodes the ID as it decodes the voice, but it doesn't look like it's working that way. Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder if P2 puts too much demand on the processor, as pressing the buttons takes a couple tries before they respond at times. To be frank, I've seen that happen on analog 3600 systems as well so I'm not sure why that is.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I see the same thing here, also encryption mute doesn't work on P2 (which is, like the individual id, in the voice channel overhead data).

PhillyPhoto

I see the same thing here, also encryption mute doesn't work on P2 (which is, like the individual id, in the voice channel overhead data).

Yeah, the police cars are encrypted and it just comes out garbled. Took me a while to realize it was encryption and not an issue with the Phase 2 decoding because the dispatchers are in the clear.

bama9999

Same thing here with my 536. Phase 1 no problems with the ID's switching, but phase 2 is like you said, on the MSWIN system that I listen to.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Ya I notice this on my Phase II system as well. But yet I notice that if I am passing within a mile of a tower the IDs come up more frequently. I also notice less of the popping noises and notice the beginnings of transmissions aren't missing. All that to say when the radio detects a dropoff in TDMA signal, the processor slows down trying to recover the lost bits of audio. In doing so you hear the crackling sounds and the voice sounds unnatural, almost like playing a cassette on the wrong speed. In recovering lost audio this way, the processor has a lot of strain on it and is slow to respond to push button commands and pick up/display the unit ID. This is what it seems to me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.