Phase 2 palm800 testing

evan

Database Admin
Today I briefly heard testing on a phase 2 talk group 27089. First time I’ve ever seen phase 2 on palmetto 800.

mrat1234

What site or sites did you hear it on and how was the testing. Was it actual humans doing the testing or was it like a computer voice saying numbers and phrases?

evan

Database Admin
I wasn't paying attention to the actual frequencies as I was driving. It caught my attention because the audio sounded slightly different and the SDS100 showed which slot was being used.
On other systems I have monitored that transitioned to phase 2, they used the same frequencies but for a while only certain frequencies were capable of phase 2 (I'm assuming they have to change the hardware/repeater out).

mrat1234

Has anyone noticed if the palmetto 800 wacn has changed. My agency's radios have been flashing bee01-1d9 with the radio id's off and on

cpoole898

Has anyone noticed if the palmetto 800 wacn has changed. My agency's radios have been flashing bee01-1d9 with the radio id's off and on
That means someone is more than likely using the wave app that pal800 has.not a lot of agencies use it since it's not mission critical.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Phase II uses the exact same frequencies that exist on an already P25 TRS. It is just an firmware upgrade on the existing network. It will mean that they will need to start phasing out any existing FDMA (Phase I) only radios. All Phase II is, is adding TDMA ability to multiply the existing talkpaths in existance. TDMA doubles the capabilities for voice and data use. FDMA uses a single path per freq, TDMA uses 2. So if you have an site with 5 freqs, in TDMA that gives you 4 talk paths and a CC. With TDMA you potentially have 8 talk paths. TDMA on the CC adds another data pathway. (Potentially you could do a voice path on the CC Freq, but as I understand it, most of the time it is primarily an extra data path) SO you can add more features also such as having AVL. SMS, etc to the system without adding more freqs. or overloading existing freqs. If they tie in the states LTE system to the Palmetto 800's cores, that adds even more flexibility and options.