Phase 2 Scanner Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Getting ready to spend my "stimulus check" on a new scanner. Local system here (EBRCS) getting ready to move to P25 Phase 2. I understand that the SDS200 is best for decoding simulcast, but does anyone have experience with the TRX-2 or 996P2 going from Phase 1 to Phase 2 and was there any difference in reception? At my home location I have no problem with Phase 1 simulcast and was wondering what impact Phase 2 would have with existing scanner (996P2).

N6ML

I don't see why phase 2 would make any difference w.r.t. simulcast distortion (which is the really only thing that the SDS200 would handle better). Phase 2 just adds TDMA to allow two timeslots on each channel (within the digital data) - the modulation remains the same (AFAIK).

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I've used TRX-1, BCD996P2 and SDS-100. I didn't notice "a difference in reception" with regard to Phase I vs Phase II but I can tell you the SDS outshines the other models in many ways. The biggest issue is monitoring multi-site systems. There's no comparison.

silagi

Premium Subscriber
I would hold onto your stimulus check until EBRCS actually makes the switch. I am pretty sure that all of the law enforcement channels will go encrypted to conform with new CA DOJ requirements for CLETS access. Not sure if the FD's will go encrypted as well. BTW I have a 996P2 and I too have no simulcast problems here in central Fremont.

Status
Not open for further replies.