• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Phase 2 system with Phase 1 revert

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
Asking for a friend...

The answer may be manufacturer specific, or delectable by manager, and I'm interested in all of those variables if you have them to offer.

A multi-site phase-2 system has phase-1 revert. A phase-1 user affiliates to a site and talk group. Does that talk group revert to phase-1 ONLY on the site where it's being affiliated? Or do all sites carrying that talk group revert. I'll take it one step farther -- the system has RF subsystems using two separate bands. Does this affect how the system would handle the revert?

troymail

Silent Key
Not sure if this helps but I found it interesting.

If I recall correctly, the subject of your question came up in any conversation/thread recently (I'd have to dig and find it). To my knowledge, at least for Motorola, when a talkgroup reverts, it reverts on all sites where the traffic is being carried (and/or radios are affiliated with that talkgroup). In that discussion, someone mentioned that Motorola has recently come up with a solution for the double bandwidth for the Phase 1 user(s) to be limited to only the site(s) where a Phase 1 user is affiliated.

I don't know if that's 100% accurate but if it is, it sounds like a Motorola specific thing - at least in the way it was presented.

If it is true, I wonder what this would mean for P25 vendor neutral systems.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
It depends on the system. Most systems currently will knock down the talk group system wide.

Just to make sure we are all on the same page, a Phase 2 control channel operates at 9600 bps using the same protocol as Phase 1 trunking. Phase 2 on the other hand uses two different modulation schemes for the non-control information. One for downlink and one for uplink. Downlink is at 12000 bps and uplink is 6000 bps IIRC.

So you have to gateway the two phases to convert between the CAI's in order to knock down just a single site in a multi-site arrangement. This takes hardware and/or licensing. Motorola recently announced the feature for Astro25. I believe only 7.17 will support it though but someone more up-to-date on Astro25 system releases will likely be able to confirm whether or not other releases will support it.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
7.17 will support transcoding over ISSI as well.

As it stands now, the "least common denominator" on 7.16 and below will dictate the mode of operation on DDM talk groups across multiple affiliated sites. One FDMA radio affiliated to the talk group forces every site with users affiliated to that talk group to downgrade to FDMA. This is true on ISSI.

My system has an ISSI8000 connection to another system within our foot print. Both our cores are 7.14 (at present, ours will be moving to 7.16 by 1st of next year as part of our SUA). and on our DDM talk groups provisioned as foreign groups on each others' core, if an FDMA radio registers on either core, the entire talk group becomes FDMA on both systems.

Really makes one think hard about allowing ISSI with connected systems that have alot of legacy radios. Can cut capacity in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.