Phase I of Nebraska’s Statewide Radio Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanomaha

http://mediacenter.motorola.com/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=11874&NewsAreaID=2

September 23, 2009
Gov. Heineman Activates Phase I of Nebraska’s Statewide Radio NetworkPlan in Place to Provide Interoperable Communications for First Responders.

Gering, Neb. – September 23, 2009 - Gov. Dave Heineman today was joined by state officials in launching the first phase of a statewide radio network for emergency response personnel that will be the vehicle for providing interoperable communication to first responders across Nebraska in the coming year.

The Governor activated Phase I of the state’s radio network during an event held at Scotts Bluff National Monument. The network uses radio towers and upgraded communications equipment at the Nebraska State Patrol’s Troop E dispatch center, along with radios installed in first responder vehicles to provide an enhanced radio network for the state’s public safety officials in the Nebraska Panhandle. Over the next year, the network will be expanded to include public safety personnel in the central and eastern regions of the state.

“This is a major milestone for Nebraska and I want to congratulate everyone involved on their work to make this first step a reality,” Gov. Heineman said. “Achieving interoperable communication is one of our top priorities when it comes to emergency preparedness and response. This is a perfect example of the collaboration that makes Nebraska a national leader in emergency preparedness. It is Nebraska at its best.”

The statewide radio network is being developed through a partnership between state government and the Nebraska Public Power District (NPPD). While the state was working to develop a dynamic, sustainable way for first responders and state officials to communicate, NPPD was considering options for upgrading its radio network used by utility crews. Rather than build two separate radio systems, state and NPPD officials entered into an agreement to share the costs of developing the state radio network.

NPPD President and CEO Ron Asche said, “This system will enhance NPPD’s ability to respond to customers’ needs, while increasing the safety and reliability of our field personnel. By sharing a statewide radio system with the state, NPPD will save customers money and increase our ability to communicate with other state-based agencies during emergencies.”

Known as the Nebraska Wireless Interoperable Network (N-WIN), the network is being installed in four phases that provide expanded communication capabilities for state agencies as each section is completed. Activation for Phases II and III covering central Nebraska is projected for February and July 2010. The final phase in eastern Nebraska is expected to launch by the end of 2010. When complete, the radio network will give state agencies, NPPD and some federal personnel in Nebraska the ability to communicate as needed.

The state network will also serve as a backbone connecting Nebraska’s eight regional communications networks and provide statewide interoperability in an emergency. The regional networks are operated under cooperative agreements at the local and county level and have been activated in recent years, starting in 2006.

Statewide interoperability will include enhanced communication for local and county law enforcement, fire and rescue personnel, NPPD utility crews, county emergency managers, and state public safety agencies, in addition to U.S. Department of Interior offices in Nebraska and some emergency personnel in neighboring South Dakota and Wyoming.

The state network includes: the Nebraska State Patrol, the Nebraska Emergency Management Agency, the State Fire Marshal’s Office, the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, and the Nebraska Departments of Agriculture, Roads and Correctional Services. Other partners include the Office of the Chief Information Officer, which provides support for the statewide radio network, and Nebraska Educational Telecommunications, which provided access to radio towers across the state. The network is being built by Motorola.

“Motorola is committed to providing the State of Nebraska with the most advanced, interoperable public safety communications system that will help first responders communicate on a daily basis, as well as in the event of a major emergency,” said Gene Delaney, President, Enterprise Mobility Solutions business, Motorola, Inc. “Motorola has been working with public safety agencies throughout Nebraska for many years and we look forward to developing this key communications project that will greatly benefit the safety and security of the state and its citizens well into the future.”

Funding to develop the statewide radio backbone comes from $9 million in state general funds appropriated by the Legislature, $1.7 million from the state’s share of federal Homeland Security grant funding, and $6.6 million in funding from NPPD. Each agency is responsible for purchasing radios and communications equipment as part of their operating budgets.

Col. Bryan Tuma, Superintendent of the Nebraska State Patrol, said, “Implementation of a statewide radio network will greatly enhance officer safety and improve the efficiency of our officers.”

In 2008, Gov. Heineman signed executive orders creating N-WIN and the Nebraska Council of Regions (NCOR), which comprises representatives of Nebraska’s eight regional communications networks. Both entities report to the Lt. Governor, who serves as Nebraska’s Director of Homeland Security, and the Governor’s Homeland Security Policy Group.

Lt. Gov. Rick Sheehy said, “I want to thank everyone involved in launching this first section of our statewide radio network. We’ve seen over the years that clear communication is an essential part of responding to any emergency. When complete, this project will ensure that first responders from border to border will be able to talk to one another. It will also make Nebraska a model for other states looking to achieve a sustainable interoperable communications system.”

wb0qqk

Premium Subscriber
Just curious, but does anyone know what use (if any) does the FCC plan for the 30-50 mHz. band after agencies migrate to VHF/UHF digital systems?

SCPD

QRT
Haven't seen any changes in the 'band plan' for that range. I don't see why they would. There really is not requirement for anyone to move from the low band frequencies. They are getting pushed by the manufactures to leave low band. The main problem that users of the low band frequencies will run into is the selection of narrow band radios for low band, in 2012 or 20015 all pubic safety communications has to be narrow band. I believe that the radios the public safety buys now have to be narrow band compliant.

jim202

You need to go back and re read the narrow band FCC mandate. Unless something has slipped past
in the last few hours, there is no mandate to go narrow band on any of the low band (30 to 50 MHz)
frequencies. The mandate only covers VHF and UHF radio licenses.

Lets not start doing what many of the "think their smart radio shops" and telling customers that they
have to get off of low band all their low band channels and move to 800 trunking.

If I had a radio shop tell me that, I would fire them on the spot and spread the word what they
are trying to do. The Motorola sales force is bad enough to have to fight with and hear the
stories they are passing on to the public safety agencies that should know better.

Jim

Haven't seen any changes in the 'band plan' for that range. I don't see why they would. There really is not requirement for anyone to move from the low band frequencies. They are getting pushed by the manufactures to leave low band. The main problem that users of the low band frequencies will run into is the selection of narrow band radios for low band, in 2012 or 20015 all pubic safety communications has to be narrow band. I believe that the radios the public safety buys now have to be narrow band compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.