Phase II Audio Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
A neighboring county has implemented a Phase II system. I was never able to listen to one before, and it has been put online by a feed provider, using a 436HP. I just wondered if this audio quality is typical of a Phase II system? It seems much less clear than the Phase I systems I've monitored before. It seems "muddy" and hard to understand.
Our county will be going to a Phase II system early next year, and I just wondered if it's worth it to buy new scanners, if the audio of these systems is not good generally.
Chautauqua County Public Safety South - Digital

troymail

Silent Key
From my experience - if you don't need Phase 2 yet then wait.... you never know what will happen between now and then....

My first digital scanner was a Uniden 296 (2003? 2004?) when it was brand new and "the top of the line" -- I *thought* my county was about to switch to digital - they are STILL analog....

The Phase 2 reception and audio on the 436 for systems I monitor is very inconsistent - it goes from no reception at all to sometimes and many times when it does receive, the Phase 2 audio is distorted and unintelligible. Of course, at other times it's just fine....

seth21w

Yes that is normal I thought the same thing when my county switched from p1 to p2. It sounds terrible why it sounds so terrible as far as audio levels and sound quality in general idk.

Last edited:

DeDawg

From my experience - if you don't need Phase 2 yet then wait.... you never know what will happen between now and then....

I do need P2 now, county just switched from overmodulated FM. Others are having issues with Whistler scanners not decoding and Uniden working for the most part.

My hearing is going fast, and crappy audio is a killer for me. Would like to hold off on P2, but no Fire or PD monitoring is the pits.

Status
Not open for further replies.