Phase II for Charleston County Palmetto P25?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caldwest

Does anyone know if the Charleston County Palmetto (Project 25 Phase I) is planning to upgrade to Phase II? I ask because I just ordered a BCD 996XT. I did some additional research today and discovered that the 996 XT cannot receive Phase II transmissions (if I understand what I read correctly).

troymail

Silent Key
Does anyone know if the Charleston County Palmetto (Project 25 Phase I) is planning to upgrade to Phase II? I ask because I just ordered a BCD 996XT. I did some additional research today and discovered that the 996 XT cannot receive Phase II transmissions (if I understand what I read correctly).

Hmmmm....

Can't answer the Phase II question - sorry.

However, this close to January, I would probably waited for the x36HP releases... only hours (ok - weeks) away from hitting the streets.... but I can see (possibly) several reasons why you wouldn't wait also....

caldwest

Thanks. I had no idea about new Bearcat scanners (x36HP) to be marketed in January. Had I known, I may have delayed my purchase. On the other hand, I don't want to be the first in line for a new product. Hell, my new 996XT will probably out live me.

Sam

troymail

Silent Key
...but you'll kick yourself if things start getting quiet if/when Phase 2 kicks in (but it may not).

Decisions, decisions.

Me? I'd wait to buy anything at this point and based on feedback, make the decision in a few weeks.

EDIT: oh wait - I just noticed that the 996XT is available for $429 (or maybe even less) and the 536HP is $599 -- might be enough to go the 996XT route.... until the 436HP will work for you -- then it's only a $70 difference.

Last edited:

RXTXDX

Phase II integration will take some time. It is my understanding that Phase II will utilize different encoding/decoding, but due to the large amount of radios utilizing the Phase I encoding/decoding the new system will be able to tell the radios which version (P25 Phase I or Phase II) to utilize for that particular transmission . I would venture to guess that a software patch could make your BCDxxx compliant with P25 Phase II.

qball

Premium Subscriber
Just remember how many Motorola XTS/XTL series radios they have. The XTS/XTL radios do not support phase II. That's a lot of radios to replace before it makes sense for the transition to phase II.

I think that you are safe with a phase I radio for a while to come. The XTS/XTL5000 radios are supported at least until the end of 2018. There is no cancellation date on the XTS/XTL 2500 or 1500 radios as of yet.

Sent from my iPhone

GB1952

Premium Subscriber
We are going to p-25 phase 1 on viper here in nc so it will be a long time if ever for phase 2 due to bugets

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Only 700 MHz, and mixed systems using 700 MHz and another band have to worry about P25 Phase II requirements currently. 2016/2017 are the dates that are mandated for 700 MHz to be Phase II compliant. Many systems will be applying for waivers etc to delay having to get equipment reprogrammed/and - or buy Phase II radios. (It will be interesting to see if this gets applied to VHF when the next phase of narrowbanding occurs about the same time frames. and when they will mandate 800 MHz, and UHF to go Phase II...)

Status
Not open for further replies.