Phelps Lake Wildfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
PHELPS LAKE WILDFIRE involving Washington co....Hyde co...Tyrrell co....over 20,000 acres invloved now....jumped lines....evacuations ordered....massive multi agency event....

STATE EOC...COUNTY EM's...COMMAND POST using Viper TG 1168 'Events Delta 1'

also hearing air coordinating on 122.925

Barefootdipole

Last edited:
well past 30,000 acres heading to 40,000 acres now...only 30% 'contained' , if that much....fire is so hot that it's creating it's own weather !!! huge thunderstorms forming over the area (but unfortunately not over the fire) due to the intense heat of the fire meeting up with the cooler sea breeze.....ash/smoke covering all way out to Cape Hatteras and beyond....

Barefootdipole

TheMadScanner

Monitoring from E-City

Hey Barefootdipole,

Is there any to monitor this from E-City without having a digital scanner? I can usually pick up Dare, Tyrell, and some of Hyde from here.

Thanks,

TheMadScanner

msigmon3306

Heard some resource requests (or, more like clarification on resource requests) on Evt Delta 1 yesterday. Then the pager went off for possible SMAT deployments. We sent a truck to Hyde County this morning for a four day deployment and expecting to be called up for more deployments soon.

Hey Barefootdipole,

Is there any to monitor this from E-City without having a digital scanner? I can usually pick up Dare, Tyrell, and some of Hyde from here.

Thanks,

TheMadScanner

no need for digital....

you're in the sweet spot for it all !

try all NC forest service freqs....US forest service too...and best of all, all their air freqs.....both NC and Fed's invloved as it's into the Pocosin NWR....NC Forest ser is in the lead...but most will be co-ordinating on common channels....i expect the tall unctv tower at Columbia is getting a workout on repeaters ! but look for simplex freqs or tactical comms....lo band...hi band...air band....air fire freqs will be your best bet, of course.....122.9 122.925 etc

everything you need in the database here...

good luck

Barefootdipole

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
I just got back from down there, LOTS of VHF activity on ALL the Forestry Service channels, especially 159.390, and 151.325. Even the Marine Resources Frequencies were busy! I was able to monitor from Williamston area all the way into eastern Tyrell County...lots of aircraft activity also on the air to air freq's 122.80, 122.900, 122.925, 123.025, 123.050 Helicopter air to air, etc...saw several news vans from here in the Triangle in Plymouth at a school that was apparently being used as a shelter....A little activity on 800mhz but nothing really interesting...

CalvinNutler

Just as a side note we had very heavy smoke and a "burning plastic" smell here in Virginia. Reports were heavy smoke as far north as Richmond.

TheMadScanner

We've got that Smoke Smell tonight!

It's hard to say where it is actually coming from as there have been farmers burning fields all over E-City today but the smell of wood burning is in the air.

I'll hit up the database and see if I can hear anything going on that way. It's highschool graduation weekend here so the local pd's are out busting drunk teenagers. I haven't heard much other than that though this morning.

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber
The SMAT II team based out of Pitt County Memorial Hospital was deployed on Friday. I got a call from the state EOC about the deployment. I did not go, I had prior obligations. I'm sure there were some SMAT comms on the state wide SMAT talkgroup.

TheMadScanner

Agencies involved as of 6-7-08

I haven't had much luck in monitoring except a few blurbs here and there, but I found a listing of the agencies involved as of yesterday:

Details Summary
Name: Evans Road Fire
Acres:30809
Estimated Containment: 40%
Personnel: 210
Agencies Involved: Hyde county VFDs, Hyde County Emergency Management, Washington County Emergency Management, Tyrrell County Emergency Management, Hyde County Sherrif's Office, Hyde County DOT, National Weather Service, US Fish and Wildlife Service.

[06/07/08 @ 1930] - The fire continues to progress further East into the Pocosin Lakes Wildlife Refuge. Water Handling Operation is underway using high volume lift and PTO pumps to reinforce containment and assist mop-up efforts. A State of Emergency was declared 6-6-08 for Hyde, Washington, and Tyrrell counties. Resources continue to arrive.

More information from Inciweb - The National Incident Information System

this info was found here:

http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/fire_control/current_fires.htm

TMS

msigmon3306

Arrived yesterday Camp Matamuskeet, base camp for operations, Incident Management Team. Some traffic on some state fire marshal TG, Eastern Branch EM TG. State Fire, 154.280 is supposed to be the ops channel but I'm not hearing anything on it. Internal traffic for base camp on UHF SMAT simplex frequencies but I don't have them with me.

fireted

Premium Subscriber
yea i can smell the smoke all the way up here in NJ a few fire deps in my area have been called out for the smell of smoke already!

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
Hearing lots of traffic on TG 19952 Viper "Statewide State Fire", appears to be teams of fire fighters at this incident....

msigmon3306

I got back from this incident Monday. Viper is getting a workout because cell coverage is pretty spotty in Hyde county. The guys from the Eastern Branch EM office are using their TG for lots of business, the state Fire Marshal's Office is doing so as well.

Forestry is fighting the fires and there is a contingent of about 28 apparatus from volunteer and paid fire departments who are organized into task forces; the task forces are sent out with Forestry for structure protection. They get lots of time guarding parking lots until the fires get close to houses then they are called in.

The staging area manager worked out of our CP at Mattamuskeet School and his primary communication with the T/F's was on statewide fire plus there was a fair amount of traffic on this TG for other fire operations and generalized traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.