Phila Fire - can't receive using RR database

Status
Not open for further replies.

aslc

Premium Subscriber
I have the new Uniden BCD436HP scanner which comes pre-loaded with the RR database. I can receive the other P25 systems in the area, however, I can't receive any Phila Fire Dept transmissions on their unencrypted TGs. Anyone having this problem with any scanner model?

bberns22

I have the new Uniden BCD436HP scanner which comes pre-loaded with the RR database. I can receive the other P25 systems in the area, however, I can't receive any Phila Fire Dept transmissions on their unencrypted TGs. Anyone having this problem with any scanner model?

Philadelphia has designed it system so that transmissions don't propagate much beyond the city limits - all border antenna's are directional and point inward - you must be no more than 1 mile or so from city limits to receive the system.

PhillyPhoto

The city of Phila system is very difficult to hear outside of the city limits

...using a scanner.

I've seen a city portable radio affiliate with the system and pick up traffic about 15-20 miles away from the nearest tower. The problem is people want a scanner that can handle multiple types of trunking, cover everything from 25-1500 MHz and cost under $600. The simple fact is you're not going to get a high-end receiver (using a wideband rubber duck antenna on top of it) in that mix too.

If you want to see results, get some people good with receiver knowledge to start a kickstarter project and focus on VHF/UHF and 7/800 P25 trunking systems since that's where the majority are headed. You can try to throw Type II in there as well, but don't try to do every kind. You'd also have to be willing to put the price point around $1000-1500. The only problem is, how many are you going to sell? /rant

troymail

Silent Key
Philadelphia has designed it system so that transmissions don't propagate much beyond the city limits - all border antenna's are directional and point inward - you must be no more than 1 mile or so from city limits to receive the system.

From what I can tell, this isn't just what Philly did - it's pretty much the way all of the new systems are designed.

Having said that, in my area, with the 536, I've been able to receive systems that I had previously given up trying to receive from my location - specifically, Baltimore City, Baltimore County, and Prince George County. I'm in Anne Arundel County well out of each of those areas... so it is possible. It's not perfect or received all of the time but I can hear them most times now.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Ok weird question here. On both Philadelphia sites, using a 436, does anyone get a better control channel, and P25 audio decode switching the modulation to FM instead of NFM?

newspix83

I have the 536 and it recieves much better on the philly system than most other scanners i had including the 785 which was not bad 85% of the time

bberns22

I have found the new x36 units better than anything I have owned before for Philly, virtually no simulcast issues. The PSR-800 was marginal and the 996 & 396 were near useless.

I installed a 536 in my wife's car and can hear the system reliably 8 miles north / or south of the city on I95 - thats adequate for my purposes. I could not bother with a commercial P25 radio given the x36 results . Besides I can take the Uniden's with me when I go to work in NY or on vacation in NC, Vegas, etc...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.