Philadelphia Area Communications Guide-Is It Worth the $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking for some feedback from folks who have picked it up,,

Is it worth it,,
Im sitting here listening to a wildcard hit on my 106,
a new TGID for some narc surv-lets say the number is 12345
due to the nature of the op going on.

so i guess im looking for a lazy mans way of tagging the freq's..

ive heard chatter,,the Guide IS THE RESOURCE to have,

true-false,,

stories of happiness,,
stories of disappointment,,

thanks all!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Very much so. For reasons I won't go into here (they're documented elsewhere, if you search for them you'll find it) there are things in the guide that aren't in the database. Joe does a great job of getting things updated, though it's only when he does have the time and has enough to get an update out there. In addition the Phillyscanner yahoo group is a good one to pay attention to from time to time if you're in that area. Sometimes it comes up with some good stuff, again not necessarily found in the database here. 73 Mike

Yes,,thats the answer i was hoping to recieve..

I Totally get the logic of omitting the data..
And i agree..

very cool...im putting in the order now..
love the idea if free updates..

Hnt-Hint...RadioRef...your CD may sell more if
you maybe gave some updates,,lol..just poking
the mods in good humor..

thanks ka3jjz,,

scannerfreak

Database Admin
I Totally get the logic of omitting the data..
And i agree..

Just for the record here, There is absolutely no policy on Radio Reference to omit data from the database. If there is information that is not listed in the database, one only needs to submit it and it will get added.

There was recently a practice by a few select admins to keep certain data out of the database. This is not consistent with the sites policy and they should not be doing this anymore. I encourage everyone to submit any and all information to the database.

to be clear,and not intending to be argumentative,

i do understand that RR dose not censor the DB,
more or less meant that due to PPDs sensitivity to
this issue there is a understandable cause to keep the
info basic..(by the contributors)

not my intent to be pointing the finger at the RR staff-paid or volunteer.

i Did get the guide shortly after the 1st response here..
im now just chewin my fingernails waiting to get the username n pass info
so i can peek behind the velvet curtain!

I hate to bump my own topic,

But...

Hott Hootie PaTootie...

Worth EVERY PENNY!

IF your in SE PA..you better have this resource.

Period.

Thanks for the quick response JoeC!

Q-ball

Just to clarify, this is an E-book right, this resource guide for SE PA....its not an actual book one can go buy right?

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Correct. It is an E-Book. Print it out and you have a large 3 ring binder book though covering an 80+ mile radius of Philadelphia.

Q-ball

in all honesty, what kinda stuff could it have that isnt all ready known?....and if i want a scanner pre programmed by a company prior to it being sent to me, would the company have the info contained in it?....

DELCOLHFC

Must have

Joe's guide is an excellent reference, contains waaaay more than just freqs and talkGroups. As others have reported it is a MUST HAVE for Philly area listeners.

and if i want a scanner pre programmed by a company prior to it being sent to me, would the company have the info contained in it?....

not likely,my thought,they would be working from a main file,such as the -Pre Programed - info in most scanners..
sure its there,and may have say the proper control channels..but will most likely lack the pertinent talkgrp info.

definitely will be lacking the info ive found on my own via a years worth of yahoo-ing and googling.,and no doubt a severe absence of a great deal of the info found in the Guide..

again,my internet connection costs me 55 bucks a month,after searching the net for lets say,9 months..
so roughly 500USD vs 40USD..
a pretty good deal.

philacop

Premium Subscriber
Phillyguide e-book

Hi all
There is no other accurate,up to date resource guide you can even come close to in the delval area than
Joe's e-book. I know as others who are on top of the ever changing world of wireless communications that
Joe has put his best in putting such a fine,must have ,much more than a basic frequency list !!
He is the best at it and I will always give him a hand at providing the #1 guide we professionals look to and
enjoy so much..

ECHO3

First, I do agree that Philadelphia Area Communications Guide is worth every $. Yes it does include sensitive talkgroups not posted on the RR database. I guess what troubles me is that in an earlier post the PACG author claimed that the brass/contacts at the PPD were going to encrypt all or most PD talkgroups concurrently with rebanding because they had knowledge of this site and a particular thread wherein an individual requested the NARC talkgroups for the PPD. Yes, they are in Joe's book as well. The general impression given, however, was to place the intended encryption on RR and the referenced thread. I guess the brass in the PPD don't read e-books. Just my 2 cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.