Philadelphia Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
If you're monitoring from West Chester, uh-uh. I've rarely been able to pick them up from any further west than oh say Conshohocken. Every so often I'll hit a "sweet spot" a bit further out if I'm in direct line of site to a repeater but I live in Audubon and no matter how high I have my verticals, zilch on Philly. 800mhz doesn't propagate as far out like VHF/UHF does

joey123

Premium Subscriber
If you're monitoring from West Chester, uh-uh. I've rarely been able to pick them up from any further west than oh say Conshohocken. Every so often I'll hit a "sweet spot" a bit further out if I'm in direct line of site to a repeater but I live in Audubon and no matter how high I have my verticals, zilch on Philly. 800mhz doesn't propagate as far out like VHF/UHF does
I’m in south jersey and I can pick them up

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible to receive the Philly Police from about 30 miles away using an outdoor discone antena??
I was gonna say, 30 miles which direction? 30 miles to the west and you have no shot. 30 miles to the east and it's a real long shot but maybe a slight chance if you're in a very open area (no trees or obstructions for about 300 yards), not near any cell towers that can interfere with 800mhz signals...and btw what scanner or device are you trying this with?

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Not going to happen on a Discone, I live near 202 and the DE/PA line and have elevation on my side (430ft) and barely get them with a 13dB Yagi. About a 18 mile shot to the TX site.

bberns22

Saturday morning I took an early morning ride to Philadelphia with my G5 attached to this Larsen 806MHZ-866HHZ. Previously with my 1/4 wave I was able to start hearing the Philly system at RTE 1&322. Now reception began on 202 at the location marked in red. This leads me to believe that with a dedicated high gain beam antenna, mounted sufficiently high and running low loss cable, it would be possible to receive the Philly system from the West Chester area.

Attachments

• IMG_0983.jpg
    IMG_0983.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot (57)_LI.jpg
    Screenshot (57)_LI.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 61

shirsch101

Premium Subscriber
So I am about 4 miles further than screen shot shows. Maybe in the spring I will get a frequency specific antenna and giver a try
Thanks

kh11

Premium Subscriber
I'm less than a mile across the border and I can't get them reliably. (PSR800 so simulcast issue no doubt.)

Audiodave1

Database Admin
I'm just over the PA/De line about a mile off 202 with 430' of elevation on my side. I pick up Philly on a 13dB yagi in my attic (Outside was no better) on a SDS200 pretty reliably. 6 years of trying and that's where I ended up.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Dave, what brand yagi do you use. I have been considering going that route to see if i can’t pick up Philly from my perch in central Bucks County. The discone did not work. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.