Philadelphia remote broadcast frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
Years ago I liked to listen to the chatter of TV news crews and traffic patrols, but my 450-451 and 455-456 Mhz list is badly out of date. Obviously a lot of the comms have gone to cell phones but I did hear a KYW3 helicopter while it was taping video of a fire near my Pinelands location. If you have current information it would be appreciated. N2NOV's compilation of New York City is very good, but it is only useful to me when I travel north of NJTP Exit 9. Thanks in advance.

cjrjr507

Here is the website with the info you need.

Years ago I liked to listen to the chatter of TV news crews and traffic patrols, but my 450-451 and 455-456 Mhz list is badly out of date. Obviously a lot of the comms have gone to cell phones but I did hear a KYW3 helicopter while it was taping video of a fire near my Pinelands location. If you have current information it would be appreciated. N2NOV's compilation of New York City is very good, but it is only useful to me when I travel north of NJTP Exit 9. Thanks in advance.

Hi

Did some searching and found this website: Philadelphia Area Media Frequencies
Has the frequencies you want.

Regards and have fun listening.

P.S. Also check this forum as there is some messages I found about kyw-tv remote broadcast frequencies.

w2xq

Mentor
Thanks for that Philly media page. I had seen it before, and the problem is that it was last updated in 2006. I was hoping to find someone who is currently monitoring the remotes.

w2xq

Mentor
Thanks. On Oct 13 I was in Center City Phila for about 3 hours during drive time. Scanning using the dual-band 8800 radio with the external antenna, nothing was heard from the Phila broadcasters. I would have expected to hear some chatter while the morning news shows were on.

The only active frequency was 455.4125, a full-scale signal anywhere on Market, Chestnut and Walnut St. It seemed like a studio-transmitter link, as it was carrying -- without interruption -- the morning show on WSTW-93.7 Wilmington. The program was delayed on WSTW by a minute or so. The 455.4125 frequency does not appear in the PA or DE RR databases, so far as I can tell.

w2xq

Mentor
On a second trip to Philadelphia this morning, I was out to City Line Ave to an office building about 100 yards from WCAU-10. WPVI-6 is very close to WCAU. Again, the only Philadelphia signal heard was the morning show remote of WSTW-93.7 Wilmington. That 450.4125 transmitter is clearly in Center City as told by the weaker signal on City Line Ave. I could hear the remote about 30 miles east of the city, as I drove in. Two continuous digital (video?) transmissions were heard in the 450-451 segment, but never an identity. No studio or production comms heard at all.

As an aside, on the entire trip I could hear WNBC-4 New York program audio on 450.3875 (stronger) and WCBS-2 New York program audio on 450.5125 (weaker). Obviously temperature inversion was at work, as I don't often hear 450.3875 south of Exit 9 of the NJTP.

The days of active use of the 450/455 remotes seem to be gone. Guess I'll dump the scanner program file...

OCO

The days of active use of the 450/455 remotes seem to be gone. Guess I'll dump the scanner program file...

Another area of the ECPA 1986 in which technology has moved on but the laws still are in place.... I wonder - has any private citizen ever been prosecuted for listening to STLs? (I envision unmarked vans prowling the neighborhoods with DF loops, checking for LO freqs....get me the tin foil!!)

w2xq

Mentor
Geez, I haven't seen or heard mention of the ECPA for a few centuries now. The government is too busy making $$ auctioning off spectrum space. (grin)

Status
Not open for further replies.