Philippines License

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveleonard

If you plan to go to the Philippines to live be sure and keep your American License up to date and renewed so you can avail of the reciprocal agreement that is in force. If you don't, you will need to start over and try to get a Philippine license. For me this has proven nearly impossible. I was a ham in the States for ten years. I know my ham stuff, at least what it takes to pass the FCC exams. But over here the tests are intentionally difficult, even for the entry level exam. Out of 100 plus people who took the test only seven passed. I was not one of them! The test was all about math and equations. It is clear to me now after taking the Amateur Radio exam that the NTC does not want new amateurs in the country, foreign or not. When only seven of over 100 plus pass the exam there is something wrong the exam. One thing I know for sure is that the NTC throws so many unnecessary math questions out there that only math majors or engineers need apply. This is wrong on so many levels. It violates the Amateur spirit and confirms in my mind that the government exercises inordinate control over every aspect of Philippine life. Is it any wonder that folks do not register their equipment with the NTC? Is it any wonder that folks use ham equipment without a certificate? This reminds me of the Marcos days. You can call this "sour grapes" or a "sore loser" if you want but a country of this size should have more than a couple thousand hams in it.
The NTC offers reciprocal license with the US but don't even try to get a Philippine license on your own by hard study. Instead of publishing the question pool as the FCC does in the US the NTC keeps the question pool a secret because it does not want to promote Amateur Radio but make it an exclusive club. I was a ham for ten years in the States with morse code training and have made thousands of contacts yet when I come to the Philippines I find the NTC is out of step with the rest of the world! Go to www.binisaya.do/exam.htm which is supposed to be the questions that appear on the NTC exam and you will find that it is not at all true. No matter how hard one studies the NTC will make sure very very few people get to join the "CLUB". It is a shame and disgrace. The citizens are not even allowed to use CB radio here legally. It was outlawed back in the 1970's.

David Leonard
former KD4HOL

hbryant1971

Relax dude....

I am both a U.S. Citizen and a Lawful Permanent Resident here in the Philippines. N6ZTE, by the way. However, while here that is "N6ZTE/Portable DU12" and have never encountered any problems. I once wasted a bunch of time at the U.S. Embassy getting the "He is a good guy" letter to take to the NTC and waste a lot of cash for a "Temporary Permit". It is not worth it. Nobody cares! Just be nice and follow protocol.

SCPD

QRT
You have my sympathy, Dave L. And probably the thanks a a few who may think of following in your footsteps.
You bear out the truth that all ham licenses are not equal... a sad commentary if you are on the short end of that stick- but that's just the way the cookie crumbles when one steps outside the fair, regulated United States. As Americans we take so much for granted; a life lesson I strongly advise others --spend some time in the 'other worlds'- and see how much we have to appreciate here.
I have/had, held ham licenses in over a dozen countries. Some, like mine in the UK, (now expired long ago)- involved an exam far tougher than anything in the US.... but it was fairly administr'd, and the licensing was straight up, quick and efficient. Some, like those in Antarctica, involved nothing more than sitting down in front of a microphone and signing the station KC4 call... anyone could do it... no license or experience required.
My most favorite, however, was a license I had for a Central American country. I was on an extended TDY, living on the economy in this country's capitol city. I was quickly befriend'd by my neighbor, the chief of police, and his family.
When I express'd an interest in obtaining a ham license, I naturally ask'd him how I could go about it. One evening as their guest at a family dinner I brought up the subject.
"You are-- a, a radio amateur, Lauri?" he ask.
"Yes"
"And you want to operate a radio set in your home?"...."that will be no problem....please come down to our department tomorrow and I will see you get the necessary permisssions"
The next day I went down to the police headquarters where a specially assigned officer met me in his office.
"You are an American radio ham, and you want to operate a station here?" he asked.
Obvious answer
A short pause, smiling..... "What is the Morse code for the letter "A" ?'"
Easy Peasy
"Muy Bien!"... he said, pushing a spiral bound note book across his desk to me.
"Write your name in there, and select for yourself a callsign... Bienvenido !,.. Senora... enjoy your stay in our country"
....................................CF

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You have my sympathy, Dave L.
The OP hasn't logged into the forums for over three years. I approved hbryant1971's post in an old thread because it seemed to be adding useful information.

Not that your comments aren't useful. ;)

Just FYI.

SCPD

QRT
Ahhhh !.... Sacrebleu !!............ ;)
I never notice those little detail !.... :) oh well........ There's a moral here someplace; if I find it I'll post it-- (no one hold their collective breath)
:)
............................CF

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.