• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Philippines Uniden Grant xl diode 75

460Linc

I am messing around on a Philippines Uniden Grant XL. Circuit board PC412AG. I am trying to find a new replacement diode 75. It is a tiny thing about the size of the head of a pen. Its glass and has a blue ring around the top. At some point, that diode was cut and glob soddered back together. Id like to remove it and put a new one in. But I cant find one any where. Would a diode 1N4004 or IN4148 work instead? I have plenty of those.

Attachments

• uniden xl 007.JPG
    uniden xl 007.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 4

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Do you have a Parts List for the radio to know what nomenclature the D75 diode is? Probably 1Nsomething… You need to know that to check the diode specifications in order to select an appropriate replacement diode.

460Linc

I don't have a parts list for the Grant. I have been looking on line for a parts list, and circuit board schematic for the Philippines Grant xl that I have.
I cant find them. The schematic and parts lists are available all over for the Cobra 148 GTL of that generation. They are supposed to be similar.
Diode 75 in the 148 schematic and parts list, is a 1N4148 Toyo Kuni. But that diode is nothing similar visually to the diode I am trying to replace.

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Two thoughts come to mind since I was not able to find a Service Manual or schematic for that radio…

1. Contact Uniden’s Service Department and politely ask if they would kindly give you the nomenclature for D75 on the Uniden Grant XL Printed Circuit Board (PCB) number PC412AG.

2. At the risk of blowing something up, you could select a diode that has robust specifications and see if it works. The 1N4004 is a 400 V(RMS) 1 Amp silicon rectifier diode which has stronger specs than the 1N4148 diode. Should you try this, make absolutely sure that you get the polarity correct. Just remember, since you don’t know what D75 actually is right now, something could go wrong and render the radio inoperative.

IMG_2805.jpeg