Philly News Article: "Danger in the Air"

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
It's a terrible shame. Around other cities and towns I have been hearing the exact same thing about digital systems. That inside buildings and structures, the signal cuts out completely. I just hope and pray that they sort this out before someone really gets hurt. I think maybe what they should do is set up some 800 mhz tac frequencies that are conventional and off the TRS. This would probably provide more reliable back up.
And just MHO I think digital voice sounds HORRIBLE even when it is working properly. But all well.

fineshot1

I do not have all the details so I can not be specific, but be advised this new paper article also does not state all the facts. There were a lot of recomendations made by motorola to the city about the system that the city ignored or never got around to addressing. There were also issues with verizon and some T1 links that caused problems. The article does go into another important matter about the officers needing more training on the radios and the system which was also never addressed by the city officials which contributed to a lot of confusion on the part of officers and fire dept personel.

The above does not mean there are no problems with the two systems(fire & pd), but there seems to be plenty of blame to go around which does not seem to be highlighted in the article.

bjwyatt1999

fineshot1 said:
I do not have all the details so I can not be specific, but be advised this new paper article also does not state all the facts. There were a lot of recomendations made by motorola to the city about the system that the city ignored or never got around to addressing. There were also issues with verizon and some T1 links that caused problems. The article does go into another important matter about the officers needing more training on the radios and the system which was also never addressed by the city officials which contributed to a lot of confusion on the part of officers and fire dept personel.

The above does not mean there are no problems with the two systems(fire & pd), but there seems to be plenty of blame to go around which does not seem to be highlighted in the article.

Its my fault for not linking those articles. I actually read the article in print this morning over breakfast and there are two other articles further detailing the troubles.

One lists all the breakdowns in the since 2005 (And several were caused by downed T1's from Verizon). http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080409_System_failed_14_times_since_2005.html

Another talks about a $13m upgrade Motorola is trying to get the city to buy into as the current system is End of Lifed in 2010.
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080409_A__13M_upgrade_already_.html

I'm not saying the paper covered the entire story either, but you are right there is more to it and I agree, the blame goes all the way around.

I also find it curious that there are no mobile repeaters available for the current system. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.