Phoenix area GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbnv992

Anyone here active on GMRS in the Phoenix area ? I just got my GMRS license and requested to join the azgmrs.org repeater network. It’s like $36 for the year and I figure that was a great deal to be involved with the local gmrs community and have access to all the local repeaters. Just waiting for my memebrship to be approved so I can get on their website / get the codes and start talking

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I'm part of that group, so welcome aboard. It can take a couple of weeks, depending on how busy the officers are. The net usually meets on Tuesday evenings.

mbnv992

I'm part of that group, so welcome aboard. It can take a couple of weeks, depending on how busy the officers are. The net usually meets on Tuesday evenings.
Awesome ! That’s good to know. I’ve been emailing someone named Tim and he told me the same thing so I’m just sitting back and being patient haha

That website ( azgmrs.org ) won’t let me log in, but come to think of it, I don’t think it will let you until you’re approved then you can set up your account / password for the site if I’m not mistaken ?

I chose the member fee of $36 but I haven’t paid yet, although I’m assuming once I’m approved they’ll email me with the link to pay the member fee along with all the repeater tones / info as well.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys! I'm a brand-new member of AZGMRS and new GMRS licensee. I just received my email and paid my dues this afternoon. Mbnv, you're correct, the site allowed me to sign up once I was officially approved.
I looked over the GMRS "scene" in metro Phoenix and AZGMRS is the Big Kahuna by far. I've also listened in ever since deciding to join and they seem like a great bunch to boot.
Even though I've been a Ham over 20 years (my screen name here is my call) I recently decided to add GMRS to my portfolio because we are moving my sister-in-law in with us and neither she nor my wife are interested in Hamming. I'm finding that just depending on the phone is not enough. We used FRS for a time when Sis moved in across the street, but the cheap radios didn't last. I bought a Part 95 radio and already have several Part 90 radios that are much more rugged, so we at least have the immediate needs taken care of. I plan on mobiles for our vehicles, but not until Fall, when it's more bearable to work outside. (I've already verified that "sister-in-law" counts for immediate family with the FCC and the Club.)
Anyway, sorry to go "off-topic" but we'll see you on the air!
Gerry N0DOZ and WRMY339

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
You can't log in until your FCC callsign has been approved for membership and they will send you a link to the PayPal site for payment. You may have to let them know that you've paid. It happened to me the first membership cycle.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Yep, already approved, already paid, already sent a note telling them the PP is in there. Just waiting for the "unlock" signal to be sent.

mbnv992

I’m officially on the air ! Membership approved as of 2 days ago. Did a radio check from Gilbert ( was on Lindsay and Williams Field ) and got a response back right away on the PHX550. Can’t wait to start talking and getting to know everyone !
Mike ( WRMZ360 )

KG7LER

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the club guys, I apologize for the application delays. I am the one usually causing the hold up on applications.
I am the Treasurer, I create the accounts, sent out the approval emails and hand process the PayPal transactions.
Work has been crazy last few months, also dealing with being homeless since March, living in a camp trailer while I wait for my house to get built in Wittmann.

mbnv992

I appreciate the membership approval !

Look forward to meeting everyone. From my limited monitoring experience, the Towers 575 frequency seems to be by far the most active. I was talking with someone on that channel a few days ago all the way from Gilbert. Seems that the Towers repeater seems to also be connected to the Greens Peak and Diamond Point repeaters. At least, everytime I hear someone talk on the Towers repeater, I hear the same conversations on those other repeaters as well. I listen to all the channels on “monitor / PL off” mode. With our AZGMRS repeater codes active, I hardly hear any activity except the usual traffic and weather updates on the 550A repeaters.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the club guys, I apologize for the application delays. I am the one usually causing the hold up on applications.
I am the Treasurer, I create the accounts, sent out the approval emails and hand process the PayPal transactions.
Work has been crazy last few months, also dealing with being homeless since March, living in a camp trailer while I wait for my house to get built in Wittmann.
Thank you, Chris! No worries, I understand completely.
We bought a couple mini horses from a realtor in Wittmann a few years ago. Gorgeous, and the horses were cute, too!
Good luck with the house. It always feels like it's taking forever when you're not just waiting but inconvenienced, too.
Gerry WRMY339/NØDOZ

Status
Not open for further replies.