Phoenix Arizona Area - Police and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I used to scan on an old handheld in the area around 2003/2004, I think the trunking system was just about to be initiated. Anyways I fell out of the hobby back then and am recently getting back into it.

I like mobile scanning, chase some calls and follow an incident as it unfolds. However, from reading here and listening to some broadcast scans it seems like I can only get alerts and dispatch. All traffic pertaining to a specific call is switched to an encrypted talk group.

1. Is that an accurate understanding?

2. If not, can someone set me straight on this?

3. Can you suggest a good mobile platform? Whistler-Trx2? Price is not a huge concern, I want great performance and I know you get what you pay for.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
Are you talking about PD or Fire? Most of the Fire talkgroups aren't encrypted, however PHX PD only has A Deck in the clear. PD runs most of the general patrol calls on A Deck, any Priority or Hot calls go to B or C deck which are 100% encrypted 100% of the time.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Given the simulcast in the area, the SDS100 or SDS200 (depending on whether you want a handheld or mobile) would be your best bet.

AzTac

The scanning world, as you're probably aware, is vastly different in 2019 than it was in 2004. Receivers today have a greater learning curve, are very computer-dependent, and obviously cost more. Despite ever increasing levels of encryption, there is still plenty of clear police and fire radio traffic to enjoy in and around Phoenix.

Due to the vagaries of simulcast systems in general, and specifically the systems in use in the Phoenix metro area, the only truly consistently effective platforms available today are the Uniden 100/200 series and the Unication G series. (And yes, before everyone starts losing their minds and screaming that Unication is not a "scanner" just know that it is a fascinating professional grade radio that handles simulcast systems incredibly well and is a less expensive option than the Unidens.)

Do your research and weed out the static, but you'll have a head start if you concentrate on those platforms. The other products may or may not work for you, but historically they seem to be very susceptible to the whims of the Phoenix simulcast systems and it will take years off your life trying to tweak a marginal scanner to meet your needs.

tvengr

Well Known Member
3. Can you suggest a good mobile platform? Whistler-Trx2?
I just did a program file for someone in Phoenix with a TRX-1. It works great in his house but stops dead when he steps outside due to simulcast problems. The receive circuitry is essentially the same as the TRX-2. Where I live, the Uniden SDS100 (Handheld) and SDS200 (Desktop/Mobile) are the only scanners that will work due to P25 simulcast issues. You have the same type systems in Phoenix.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I live in N. Phx and with either my SDS100 or BCD536HP I get an incredible amount of calls from all the local agencies.
Are you very happy that you are receiving all of those calls or would you like to reduce the number of talkgroups to eliminate things like public works or narrow the area you are receiving. Are you using zip code scanning or favorites lists?

Azgunguy

Are you very happy that you are receiving all of those calls or would you like to reduce the number of talkgroups to eliminate things like public works or narrow the area you are receiving. Are you using zip code scanning or favorites lists?
I'm zip scanning but I've weeded out what I dont want to hear. Theres a few talk groups I listen to individually and I just lock onto them when I want to listen specifically to that TG.

adl320

Premium Subscriber
I'm also in the North Valley and previously used a Pro106 Scanner which was a descent unit but didn't know what was up when I lost MCSO. Started reading here and picked up the SDS100 and love it. Reception of MCSO, the PHX RWC system for PD and Fire is head and shoulders better than the old 106. The SDS100 is expensive but really the best unit given our simulcast issues in the area like others have stated.

KB7MIB

The Uniden SDS-100 handheld scanner is $649.99.
The Uniden SDS-200 base/mobile is $699.99.

Good luck finding either right now, however. They are currently out of stock pretty much everywhere.
Due to COVID-19 affecting shipping from Asia where they're manufactured (and maybe even the manufacturing process itself), it may be awhile before they start getting back to the dealers.

I was considering gifting myself a second SDS-100, or perhaps my first SDS-200, for my birthday at the end of July, but that doesn't look likely now, in part due to the out of stocks.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.