Phoenix fire department talk groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumasjc

I just set up my new uniden sds 200 and programmed it using the sentinel software.
I am trying to listen to Phoenix fire dept. I receive all the dispatch traffic but none of the
Radio traffic from the units. I downloaded everything from the database. Has anyone else
Had this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am new at this.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
What site are you you hearing the dispatch broadcasts? Several of the outlying sites have K1 (dispatch) but not the tactical channels.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Good comments. It's either the service type being turned off or that you are listening to a site that only runs dispatch and maybe one or two other TGs. Simulcast B is "the whole enchilada" for PFD. Simulcast G gives you dispatch and a few other TG's for example.

dumasjc

Thanks for your input. The service type is set to fire dispatch, tac, and talk.
During a dispatch the front of the screen shows K1. How do I change sites and do I need to avoid all other simulcast sites except B.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
Not familiar with particulars of the SDS200 but if you downloaded all of the sites from the DB, then you should be able to assign a quick key to each site to turn them on and off. Depending on your location you may or may not be able to pickup the Simulcast B. When the scanner stops on the K1 dispatch talkgroup the scanner should display what site it is receiving it from.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your input. The service type is set to fire dispatch, tac, and talk.
During a dispatch the front of the screen shows K1. How do I change sites and do I need to avoid all other simulcast sites except B.

Assuming they aren't avoided, sites will scan in the order they are programmed. FNC + DEPT (middle button under the display) will hold the current site that is scanning. After you see the SITE HOLD ON flash on the display, press FNC + DEPT and rotate the knob through sites (still holding). Pressing FNC + DEPT and nothing else results in SITE HOLD OFF.

As far as should you avoid? That's up to you. I use a combination of site holds, avoids, and quick keys depending on the situation. Experiment.

dumasjc

Still only able to get fire dispatch, no radio traffic from engines. Gone through all the settings everything looks correct, I have reset scanner back to factory settings and reinstalled Phoenix fire settings from sentinel with no success. Not sure what else to do.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
The question is....are those different service types enabled?

If you are hearing the dispatch on simulcast B, you are almost there and will be able to hear other things...it's just a programming issue.

dumasjc

It looks like all the dispatch is coming from Sacaton mountain high not simulcast B. I have no avoids on the site. Not sure why it’s not working. My other programs for different agencies work fine. When you set yours up did you have to manually program anything or did you just use sentinel software.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
I often pickup the Sacaton site being in Pinal County. Your issue has nothing to do with your scanner or the programming. I only pickup K1 and sometimes K2 from that site. If you are receiving Sacaton your probably somewhere in the southeast part of the county, try Simulcast C in Chandler.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
It looks like all the dispatch is coming from Sacaton mountain high not simulcast B. I have no avoids on the site. Not sure why it’s not working. My other programs for different agencies work fine. When you set yours up did you have to manually program anything or did you just use sentinel software.

Site quick key? Delete it if there is one till you this one out. It's not complicated but if you manually added something and assigned a QK to it, it'll be off till you activate it.

dumasjc

Site quick key? Delete it if there is one till you this one out. It's not complicated but if you manually added something and assigned a QK to it, it'll be off till you activate it.
Checked the scanner, I have no quick keys assigned to the site.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Are you using GPS, or any kind of location-based settings? Make sure you've got that setup correctly. You can always disconnect/disable that until you get it figured out.

KB7MIB

If you're hearing Sacaton Peak, most likely you won't hear anything but K-1, unless a subscriber radio is far enough East to affiliate with Sacaton Peak, and it's tuned to another K-deck TG other than K-1.

I know that Towers Mtn only carries K-1 and K-6. Thompson Peak and White Tanks both only carry K-2. North Mtn and South Mtn don't carry any K-decks, and neither does Sky Harbor. I don't know about Far North Mtn (Mt Gillen) or Anthem/New River, as I haven't checked either since I got my SDS-100.

Simulcasts B/C/F/G/H/J carry, or should carry, all of the K-decks. I know B and G do, as they are what I listen to all the time.

Limiting your programming to Simulcast C or F, if you're within range of either, would be your best bet to hear the rest of the K-decks. You may need to invest in an external, perhaps directional, antenna to do it.

John
Peoria

dumasjc

Are you using GPS, or any kind of location-based settings? Make sure you've got that setup correctly. You can always disconnect/disable that until you get it figured out.
I am not using any gps or location based settings. I am beginning to think it is my location. Very frustrating to spend that kind of money for
If you're hearing Sacaton Peak, most likely you won't hear anything but K-1, unless a subscriber radio is far enough East to affiliate with Sacaton Peak, and it's tuned to another K-deck TG other than K-1.

I know that Towers Mtn only carries K-1 and K-6. Thompson Peak and White Tanks both only carry K-2. North Mtn and South Mtn don't carry any K-decks, and neither does Sky Harbor. I don't know about Far North Mtn (Mt Gillen) or Anthem/New River, as I haven't checked either since I got my SDS-100.

Simulcasts B/C/F/G/H/J carry, or should carry, all of the K-decks. I know B and G do, as they are what I listen to all the time.

Limiting your programming to Simulcast C or F, if you're within range of either, would be your best bet to hear the rest of the K-decks. You may need to invest in an external, perhaps directional, antenna to do it.

John
Peoria

Probably going to need an external antenna. I cant pick up any of the simulcasts. I am having the same problem with Phoenix PD and Maricopa SO unable to receive anything. I am able to receive Mesa/Gilbert and Rural Metro Fire with no problems along with AMR. Very Frustrating to spend the money on the SDS200 and not be able to hear the Depts I got it for. Hope its not the Scanner.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
I am not using any gps or location based settings. I am beginning to think it is my location. Very frustrating

Well, there's definitely some learning required on our part as scanner hobbyists. If you've waited until after the money was spent to find out what you're getting yourself into, then, well, you get what you get.

As far as multi-site trunking, it can be a very strange animal. As was stated earlier, different sites carry different traffic, depending upon configuration and user affiliation, etc.If you're trying to receive traffic that's local to where you are, then you'll probably be successful. If you're trying to receive distant traffic, your results will likely be hit and miss. Remember, none of this was designed for scanner enthusiasts. We have to be happy with what we get and be willing to learn. I wish you well in your endeavor.

dumasjc

Well, there's definitely some learning required on our part as scanner hobbyists. If you've waited until after the money was spent to find out what you're getting yourself into, then, well, you get what you get.

As far as multi-site trunking, it can be a very strange animal. As was stated earlier, different sites carry different traffic, depending upon configuration and user affiliation, etc.If you're trying to receive traffic that's local to where you are, then you'll probably be successful. If you're trying to receive distant traffic, your results will likely be hit and miss. Remember, none of this was designed for scanner enthusiasts. We have to be happy with what we get and be willing to learn. I wish you well in your endeavor.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.