Phoenix PD B-deck Dispatch TG's Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dssman006

Feed Provider
@LINY - Thanks for letting me know my feed had some encryption. I caught TG - 293 coming in encrypted, not sure what it is, but it's been blacklisted.

LINY

@LINY - Thanks for letting me know my feed had some encryption. I caught TG - 293 coming in encrypted, not sure what it is, but it's been blacklisted.

Thanks for the quick response. There's still some encryption present, but it's not nearly as bad as it was.

Dssman006

Feed Provider
Thanks for the quick response. There's still some encryption present, but it's not nearly as bad as it was.
Yeah caught some on TG 292 and looks like they are also using some on their Dispatch B - TG 2975, so both are blacklisted.
Out of precaution I've blocked out all TG's in this range too 290-300.

KB7MIB

The Phoenix PD precinct dispatch talkgroups that are in the clear are:

2811 Black Mtn Precinct 200 Dispatch A
2996 South Mtn Precinct 400 Dispatch A
2995 Central City Precinct 500 Dispatch A
2994 Desert Hills Precinct 600 Dispatch A
2993 Mountain View Precinct 700 Dispatch A
2992 Estrella Mtn/Maryvale Precinct 300/800 Dispatch A
2991 Cactus Park Precinct 900 Dispatch A

Do not avoid/block/lockout these.

There appears to be some P25 Phase II testing on Simulcast A, in the 3-digit range, (TG 232 for example) with some clear, and some with encryption.

John
Peoria

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
B Dec is unfortunately all encrypted now from what I can tell. Those TG's probably need to be updated in the database to reflect that. I hear them switch to these TGs from time to time but as far as I can tell they don't see heavy use. Most of the non-tactical traffic missed is missed when hot calls go to C Dec which is of course encrypted. For me Phoenix PD is (now) usually too boring to monitor, as anything interesting almost always goes to C Dec. Therefore I only monitor my most nearby TG which is A9. I regularly hear violent incidents get switched to C Dec with no reporting on those events every happening in the media. I wonder if the local media hasn't mostly given up on trying to learn about major Phoenix PD events on the scanner these days due to all the encryption. I'm sure the powers at be are quite happy that many violent events are never heard about outside of the affected neighborhood. The less anyone knows about the crimes going on in real or near-real time, the better for them sadly.

Still, keep in mind, that some very interesting things can and do pop up so fast that it's not practical for them to switch to an encrypted TG, in which case you will hear some of the most interesting things. The other night a man with a shotgun was running from an officer when an officer radioed dispatch, and due to how fast things were happening the whole search including K9's and aircraft happened all on the A Dec TG. Those little gems happen rarely, but they do happen.

Not to veer too far off course here but on a related note my home PD (Glendale) has the most balanced approach of any of the major valley PD's. Most hot calls stay on the dispatch channels, and they only move hot traffic to an encrypted channel if it starts to drag out and they don't want to keep the dispatch TG tied up during busier times. Obviously true tactical work, car to car, and info are all encrypted. This strikes me as a very reasonable approach, and I only wish other valley departments operated this way, but of course when it comes to things like this you can wish in one hand and...well, you know the rest.

The best valley PD channel to monitor for those hoping to actually hear the cool stuff happening is Glendale PD A01. That covers the part of Glendale just north of Maryvale, the most action packed Phoenix precinct, so you will things "as in the old days" for the most part. That TG can be monitored on Simulcast B for those of you who can't receive Simulcast G.

With regard to Phoenix hot calls, in the case of a violent incident I go right to Phoenix fire, where I can at least get some information on the event. If it's a major event I also make sure to monitor AM air to air because the helicopter pilots (law enforcement and media) often talk somewhat freely there. The better your outdoor antenna setup here, the better of course. I can hear them talk all over the valley.

Monitoring Phoenix PD these days you will mostly hear just the following:

Hot calls with minimal details, with instructions to change to an encrypted TG.
Calls regarding non-injury accidents and traffic issues.
Alarm calls.
Disturbance calls.
Calls regarding transients.

For their part in causing this situation with regard to Phoenix PD, a SPECIAL thanks to the media for inserting themselves into tactical situations one too many times (sarcasm intended). Fingers crossed that MCSO doesn't follow the Phoenix PD example (with a former PPD detective now seated as sheriff).

eg153wftx

B Dec is unfortunately all encrypted now from what I can tell. Those TG's probably need to be updated in the database to reflect that. I hear them switch to these TGs from time to time but as far as I can tell they don't see heavy use. Most of the non-tactical traffic missed is missed when hot calls go to C Dec which is of course encrypted. For me Phoenix PD is (now) usually too boring to monitor, as anything interesting almost always goes to C Dec. Therefore I only monitor my most nearby TG which is A9. I regularly hear violent incidents get switched to C Dec with no reporting on those events every happening in the media. I wonder if the local media hasn't mostly given up on trying to learn about major Phoenix PD events on the scanner these days due to all the encryption. I'm sure the powers at be are quite happy that many violent events are never heard about outside of the affected neighborhood. The less anyone knows about the crimes going on in real or near-real time, the better for them sadly.

Still, keep in mind, that some very interesting things can and do pop up so fast that it's not practical for them to switch to an encrypted TG, in which case you will hear some of the most interesting things. The other night a man with a shotgun was running from an officer when an officer radioed dispatch, and due to how fast things were happening the whole search including K9's and aircraft happened all on the A Dec TG. Those little gems happen rarely, but they do happen.

Not to veer too far off course here but on a related note my home PD (Glendale) has the most balanced approach of any of the major valley PD's. Most hot calls stay on the dispatch channels, and they only move hot traffic to an encrypted channel if it starts to drag out and they don't want to keep the dispatch TG tied up during busier times. Obviously true tactical work, car to car, and info are all encrypted. This strikes me as a very reasonable approach, and I only wish other valley departments operated this way, but of course when it comes to things like this you can wish in one hand and...well, you know the rest.

The best valley PD channel to monitor for those hoping to actually hear the cool stuff happening is Glendale PD A01. That covers the part of Glendale just north of Maryvale, the most action packed Phoenix precinct, so you will things "as in the old days" for the most part. That TG can be monitored on Simulcast B for those of you who can't receive Simulcast G.

With regard to Phoenix hot calls, in the case of a violent incident I go right to Phoenix fire, where I can at least get some information on the event. If it's a major event I also make sure to monitor AM air to air because the helicopter pilots (law enforcement and media) often talk somewhat freely there. The better your outdoor antenna setup here, the better of course. I can hear them talk all over the valley.

Monitoring Phoenix PD these days you will mostly hear just the following:

Hot calls with minimal details, with instructions to change to an encrypted TG.
Calls regarding non-injury accidents and traffic issues.
Alarm calls.
Disturbance calls.
Calls regarding transients.

For their part in causing this situation with regard to Phoenix PD, a SPECIAL thanks to the media for inserting themselves into tactical situations one too many times (sarcasm intended). Fingers crossed that MCSO doesn't follow the Phoenix PD example (with a former PPD detective now seated as sheriff).
Same way here in Mesa, they give locations type of incident and unit #s then switch to "hot" which is enc., but every once in awhile you can catch the action if its an "in progress" that an LEO radios in to dispatch. Like you I also go to the fire channels and helo channels and get some interesting listening.
Also I have noticed that when the media first reports on an Incident they use "Fire Spox" as thier source and not PD hmmm.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Tonight I was monitoring G1, where Mesa Air Unit and DPS were tailing a subject that moved into the Phoenix area. Phoenix Air unit and Phoenix Undercover officers got involved on G1 to take over tailing the suspect. After the incident was transferred to the Phoenix units to handle, the Phoenix X-Ray officer asked for everyone to move over to "Bravo Deck 4". There were several announcements that traffic is moving to "Bravo Deck 4", so I'm certain they stated to go to B4. Following the unit IDs involved with Unitrunker, all of the unit IDs came up on talkgroup 2948 encrypted.

Talkgroup 2948 has been previously identified at D4 for Neighborhood Enforcement teams (X-Ray units). I'm wondering if there are some talkgroup numbering changes happening. Verifying with Unitrunker, there were no patches active at the time, and there was no activity on talkgroup 2980 that has been previously B4.

Status
Not open for further replies.