Phoenix PD P25 Phase 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I am a relative newbie. How and when do these changes get updated in the Radio Ref DB? I just updated my SDS200 Sentinel DB today. Would these changes be reflected there?

Once a change is submitted by the user it is usually worked by an Admin within a few days, assuming it is correct and meets the guidelines. As soon as the submission is worked by the Admin it is visible from a browser.

For users of Sentinel it is available to Sentinel usually the following Sunday or Monday when Uniden pulls a copy of the database and massages it to work with Sentinel. Whistler does a similar thing for EZ-Scan.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I've seen updates that usually occur on the weekends. Admins, mods, and the database folks have jobs, demanding spouses, relentless kids, and other responsibilities too. They usually get around to it on weekends, just before the DB updates.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
For a simulcast two-way 700 MHz system, it's pretty good. I've listened on both my SDS100 and SDS200.

KB7MIB

The database was updated a few weeks ago. You'll see a "T" instead of a "D" under the mode column to indicate P25 Phase II. (DE and TE indicate full time encryption. De and Te indicate partial encryption.)

I haven't noticed any difference in voice quality.

John
Peoria

DanRollman

Database Admin
The database was updated a few weeks ago. You'll see a "T" instead of a "D" under the mode column to indicate P25 Phase II. (DE and TE indicate full time encryption. De and Te indicate partial encryption.)

I haven't noticed any difference in voice quality.

John
Peoria

Would be most accurate if the RR DB also had a "t" (vs just a "T") to indicate DDM - dynamic dual mode - which is essentially "partial phase 2". For example, PCWIN in Tucson is 100% phase 2 (no DDM, so no Phase I radios are allowed on the system), but Phoenix PD is using DDM whereby the TG is Phase 2 when all radios affiliated with that TG at that moment are Phase 2 capable, but reverts to Phase I if an older radio switches to the TG.

The RR DB seems to use "T" to indicate TGs that are full time Phase 2 and also TGs that use DDM, even if the latter are often in FDMA mode (because at least one Phase 1 only radio is typically affiliated with that TG).

wlmr

Looks like users and admins are likely to get busy if a change to phase 2 starts up amongst other RWC groups in addition to Phoenix PD. The RWC list is pretty long. Have any other RWC cities switched?

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I would expect Phoenix to be the first city to completely migrate to P-25/PII and Fire hasn't begun yet. As to other cities and towns in RWC... a small agency such as Tolleson could conceivably do it much faster than Scottsdale could, but tax money plays a part ad well as how quickly Motorola can produce the portables and mobiles. Many cities use radio contract services to do their installs and lack internal radio shops, so that's a conceivable choke point as well.

The only other P25/PII system in place in the county is the Maricopa County system and their system is proprietary.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Have any other RWC cities switched?
In addition to Phoenix PD, Sky Harbor changed to Phase 2 about a year ago.
I noticed that Maricopa PD (encrypted) is now Phase 2 as of a few days ago.
Today, I see that some of the Tempe info channels (encrypted) are Phase 2.

These are the agencies I have noticed. We will likely start seeing more gradual migrations to Phase 2 in the coming weeks and months.

Last edited:

wlmr

but tax money plays a part ad well as how quickly Motorola can produce the portables and mobiles.

I would hope that the RWC were already advising their members to make sure they buy only radios with this capability since back whenever the plan to start implementing Phase 2 began.

Yea, I know, possibly only wishful thinking. You'll note I said "hope" in my above sentence.

Of course once they got wind of any plans, Motorola sales people would likely be all over making sure to sell radios with more bells and whistles by telling their customers they would need to have the Phase 2 capability.

wlmr

Status
Not open for further replies.