Phoenix to Rocky Point, MX driving thru Barry Goldwater bombing range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

microwave67

I just returned from another trip to Mexico (Rocky Point) that gave me a chance to evaluate my BCD436HP and a just received magnetic mount Bingfu VHF UHF Police Scanner Antenna combination. I was impressed with both. From leaving home (within 5 miles of Luke AFB) I monitored the training runs on the Barry Goldwater bombing range. Solid reception all the way into Rocky point that is about 70 miles South of the US/Mexico border. Comm was a bit scratchy when they were making low altitude runs but at altitude, up to about 27,000 feet, rock solid. At home, in the valley, not so good reception as I got in Mexico with no large mountains in between. Also, as I've read some accounts of issues with taking scanners to Mexico, well I've never had a problem with my 3 scanners & I've taken my drones to Cancun & Rocky Point with not a bit of trouble, flying or driving. A military gaurd on the Mexican side this time, saw my mag mount ant, looking in and pointed at my scanner & said "radio?" I told him (in broken Spanish) that it was only for reception. He smiled and said, "Muy bien" and motioned me on. Scanners are not illegal in Mexico as I've seen some others post. Just don't be stupid and you'll be fine, even with a mag mount ant on your car.

TheSpaceMann

I just returned from another trip to Mexico (Rocky Point) that gave me a chance to evaluate my BCD436HP and a just received magnetic mount Bingfu VHF UHF Police Scanner Antenna combination. I was impressed with both. From leaving home (within 5 miles of Luke AFB) I monitored the training runs on the Barry Goldwater bombing range. Solid reception all the way into Rocky point that is about 70 miles South of the US/Mexico border. Comm was a bit scratchy when they were making low altitude runs but at altitude, up to about 27,000 feet, rock solid. At home, in the valley, not so good reception as I got in Mexico with no large mountains in between. Also, as I've read some accounts of issues with taking scanners to Mexico, well I've never had a problem with my 3 scanners & I've taken my drones to Cancun & Rocky Point with not a bit of trouble, flying or driving. A military gaurd on the Mexican side this time, saw my mag mount ant, looking in and pointed at my scanner & said "radio?" I told him (in broken Spanish) that it was only for reception. He smiled and said, "Muy bien" and motioned me on. Scanners are not illegal in Mexico as I've seen some others post. Just don't be stupid and you'll be fine, even with a mag mount ant on your car.
Have you heard activity on 11 meters? Friend said that he heard what sounded like "coyotes" chatting on 11 meters, not too far from the US-Mexican border.

microwave67

Did not scan that area. Mostly listened for aircraft freqs. At rocky point there was some maritime and ATC traffic but I was more focused on the range traffic. I will be going back in a few weeks and will check for that. I want to check border patrol and ICE activity as well. Did you friend say whether they were speaking English or Spanish?

TheSpaceMann

Did not scan that area. Mostly listened for aircraft freqs. At rocky point there was some maritime and ATC traffic but I was more focused on the range traffic. I will be going back in a few weeks and will check for that. I want to check border patrol and ICE activity as well. Did you friend say whether they were speaking English or Spanish?
Spanish mostly, with some broken English. He thinks they are using 11 meters because few people listen on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.