Status
Not open for further replies.

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Phony trooper handcuffs teenage girl, still at large

By Ed Doney
Story posted 2012.08.02 at 07:31 PM CDT

OKLAHOMA CITY — A man impersonating an Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper is "on patrol" right now and authorities said he recently handcuffed a teenage girl after pulling her over for speeding during a bogus traffic stop.
The 17-year-old female victim said the suspect had "Oklahoma Highway Patrol" written on his shirt and car.
His motive is unclear because he didn't attack her or steal anything.
Thursday, Oklahoma City Police and OHP called a press conference to let everyone know what a real trooper looks like and what they drive.
"We're wanting to get this information out to the public because this situation could potentially be dangerous for motorists," OKC Police Cpt. Dexter Nelson said. A real trooper will have their logo and the American flag on their vehicle doors. Black and white vehicles will also have a dovetail marking on the rear doors as well as a light bar on top. Their badge number will be on their license tag and on top of their car.
The impostor also drove a black and white Dodge Charger but it did not have those markings.
He did, however, have red and blue flashing lights near his headlights.
That was enough to convince the teen to pull over around 8 p.m. Tuesday night along I-40 near Douglas Blvd.
"She identified him further as carrying what looked like a police radio, a taser and a baton but she did not say a weapon," Nelson said.
The suspect was wearing a dark blue or black shirt and pants, not the official brown OHP uniform.
When he pulled her over, he accused her of going five miles an hour over the speed limit.
He asked her what was in a black pouch on the passenger seat and told her that drug users carry drugs in similar pouches.
He eventually put her in handcuffs and then stuck her in his vehicle's back seat while he continued searching her vehicle.
She told police he may have tried to get her I.D. from her license.
Eventually, he took off her handcuffs.
Nelson said the suspect threw her driver's license at her and then quickly left the scene, possibly to avoid her getting his tag number.
"We can always hand them an identification before they exit the vehicle," Trooper Kevin Sparkman said.
He said, before asking for a trooper's I.D., drivers can slowly head to a well-lit
area before pulling over.
"To make yourself more visible and the officer more visible as well," Sparkman said.
The suspect is described as a 25-to 30-year-old white male with short brown hair, brown eyes, standing about 5′ 7″ and weighing 200 pounds.
Nelson said you can also call 911 to verify a real officer is behind you.

Story posted 2012.08.02 at 07:31 PM CDT

© 2004-2012 LSN, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
-

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.