• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Photo: Identify this antenna socket on a mic please

Status
Not open for further replies.

emcomm

I bought this mic for my Astro Saber and it didn't come with an antenna.

It has been a bear to find the proper antenna for it.

1) What type of connector is this?

2) any clue where I can purchase a UHF stubby for this?

3) Why did they put this antenna connector on this mic - it's so unusual for MOT

thanks guys!

Attachments

• 579774_10151522904415232_835165231_24214623_1178328853_n.jpg
    579774_10151522904415232_835165231_24214623_1178328853_n.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 697

Markinsac

It looks like someone put a gender changer into the socket in order to use another antenna. As it has a flat spot on the threads, you might consider trying to see if it will break loose. The regular connector shouldn't be pushing up that far, and should be the other gender.

It is a public safety microphone - I have one for a MTS2000. This one looks like mine except for the additional adapter.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
That speaker mic is for the Saber, not the Astro Saber. It won't depress the RF switch properly, so the antenna really won't do much at all. However, it is a TNC connector. Note that when this radio was used, they didn't use the SMA style antenna that is so popular now, so they likely used whatever coaxial connector they thought best. Mini UHF wouldn't have been a great choice as there aren't a heck of a lot of portables that use it (IE, sourcing antennas would have been difficult), whereas there were quite a few that used TNC.

I don't think you'll be able to source an antenna from Motorola, but have a look at other antenna manufacturers.

This is the only one I could easily find. 6 inches could be a problem though.
SPWH18FT - Field Tunable 400-512MHz 6" with a covered TNC connector

An alternative would be to attempt replacement of the TNC connector with an SMA allowing you to use any of the current Motorola antennas. You could also attempt to replace it with an MX connector, allowing you to use the stubby antenna that goes directly on the radio.

jim202

It looks like someone put a gender changer into the socket in order to use another antenna. As it has a flat spot on the threads, you might consider trying to see if it will break loose. The regular connector shouldn't be pushing up that far, and should be the other gender.

It is a public safety microphone - I have one for a MTS2000. This one looks like mine except for the additional adapter.

If you don't know any better, please don't tell this person to put a wrench to a perfectly good connector and go breaking it.

That is a standard TNC connector. You can go look at most company portable antenna selections and pick the one you need with that style connector on it.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Forgot to mention: I have one at home, I'll look up the model number and see if if anything pops up. I don't recall seeing a part number on the antenna itself, but I'll have a look.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Here's the part numbers you'd be looking for:

8505309N09 400-440 MHz
8505309N10 440-470 MHz
8505309N11 470-512 MHz

Incidentally, the N09 and N10 are still available from Motorola, for around $20 each.

I haven't messed around with them in quite awhile, but I can't imagine it would be too difficult to make it work on your Astro Saber. I'll have to take another look when I get back. If nothing else, you could likely mod it to be a regular speaker mic with no RF component.

Last edited:

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
A saber PS mic will not work with an Astro saber. I tried. They are not interchangeble at all. Even with switching the RF with a small screw in the connector.

W2NJS

TNC stubby antennas for UHF are available from Tessco in Baltimore, and probably from other parts houses as well. Standard Saber radio antenna connectors are single-pole, no ground. Astro Saber and
similar later units are SMA two-pole.

Markinsac

After getting the model number, I was able to see that the connector there WAS OEM. My apologies for responding before having full information. I'd never seen a Motorola connector that stuck that far out.

cmdrwill

The antenna connector on a Motorola PS speaker mic is a standard threaded neilson connector, AKA TNC.

Status
Not open for further replies.