Photos (NYPD) 3 radio questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

emcomm

Photo A - This is one of the new Vertex (I think), that the detectives carry (and some other guys too I see). Which model is this?

Photo B - Which radio is that?

Photo C - he is carrying two radios. Why? Maybe UHF for surface and VHF for subway? Just odd, as this call is in the street.

Attachments

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Photo B looks like a VX-920 or what ever the Uhf verson is I can not remember off the top of my head

Last edited:

ff026

Feed Provider
The officer from ESU is carrying 2 radios because he is the operator of the Truck or REP. They keep 1 radio on Tac G and the other radio on SOD.

bezking

Database Admin
The third photo has SSE-5000's, which were custom-built by Motorola for the NYPD. They are basically XTS5000s in Saber form-factors.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
And the Radio in Photo A is a vertex VX-800. Usually Detectives and Brass or any one with a hook are issued these radios.

ff026

Feed Provider
And the Radio in Photo A is a vertex VX-800. Usually Detectives and Brass or any one with a hook are issued these radios.
It has nothing to do with a hook. It goes by what Bureau you assigned to and where you get a fresh battery. Officers & Supervisors on patrol or assigned to Patrol Bureau do not get the smaller radio. Officers, Detectives & Supervisors assigned to Investigative Bureau's or Investigative Units get the smaller radios. You cant walk into a Precinct and get a battery for the smaller radio. Just like you cant walk into a Squad or investigative units office and get the larger battery.

4-crime

Radio pictured in photo 1. Is a Vertex VX800 UHF.
Radio in pictured in photo 2. Is a Vertex VX537 UHF.
Radios pictured in photo 3. Are both Motorola SSE5000 UHF portables.

KC2zZe

It has nothing to do with a hook. It goes by what Bureau you assigned to and where you get a fresh battery. Officers & Supervisors on patrol or assigned to Patrol Bureau do not get the smaller radio. Officers, Detectives & Supervisors assigned to Investigative Bureau's or Investigative Units get the smaller radios. You cant walk into a Precinct and get a battery for the smaller radio. Just like you cant walk into a Squad or investigative units office and get the larger battery.
I hate to break it to you, ff026, but someone with a hook - nowhere near an investigative function - can get themselves assigned a VX800, with their own primary and spare battery, and a single unit rapid rate desktop charger for themselves - so they don't have to worry about field swapouts. What portable you get personally assigned can be influenced by who you know at CDES.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.