PHX FD - Outdoor Antenna - Fireground Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to share my experience this morning when I got up. There was an apartment fire at 3200 west Bell, less than a mile from my home. The handheld scanner picked up most of the fireground stuff (pretty interesting fire), but was really scratchy picking up the guys in the structure wearing breathing masks. Those must be some weak transmitters. I switched over to my base scanner, and switched the antenna witch to the VHF ground plane which sits 40' above the ground. Reception then was very good.

Even with a fireground less than a mile away, you need a good antenna to hear ALL the action with PFD's equipment apparently.

The value of a good outdoor antenna is indisputable for this type of monitoring with this department, unless you can get really close with your handheld scanner.

this is fairly common when working in a structure fire. It is not just limited to PFD. I had the same problem today at a structure fire. I was trying to monitor the interior crews on a simplex channel with my XTS5000 less than half a block away. Our SCBA masks suck to try and talk into a radio, it is not uncommon to have to repeat yourself to get your message understood by command.

Drumnjim

Rural metro must be different. I was listening to fire fighters in a structure on fire ground and heard them perfectly.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Yeah thats one thing that sucks about listening to PFD on any of the tactical channels..if your not within half a mile you don't really hear anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.