PHX Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwier

Any idea when they (and other suburban fire services) will go digital full time (I.e. hazard calls as well)?

I would be shocked if building interior fire communications ever went digital, unless some breakthrough in digital dependability occurs. I think if digital could be improved, it would have happened a while back. Analogue is not only dependable, but has a relative short range, thus keeping building interior communications "in the family", so to speak.

Caveat: I make the above statement having no personal knowledge of radio electronics, but am relying on "conventional wisdom" (which I usually laugh at) and 55 years of listening to 154.190, lol.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Not any time soon. Phoenix Fire did testing a few years back and analog was proven to provide better audio clarity in most situations especially in "hazard" situations that require use of an SCBA. 700/800mhz analog was proven to work the best, but as Phoenix already had an extensive VHF receiver infrastructure in place, they chose to enhance the VHF system rather than start from scratch with a 700/800mhz analog system for fire.

The full report can be found here:
https://blog.tcomeng.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/phoenixfireradioreport.pdf

Even though this was done in 2004, there has not been a major change in digital communications as it is still P25 for most Public Safety. Now with P25 Phase 2, audio quality is slightly worse at the gain of better spectrum efficiency. Until there is a major advancement in digital, it seems analog is here to stay at least in Phoenix. Mesa is now even moving back to a VHF analog system for fire after being digital for many years.

Last edited:

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
In Phoenix, that transition is currently scheduled for January 1, 20-never.

LOL on their website it says (and I quote) "Once we implement the system for non-hazard calls, we will begin the process of transitioning to the troubled system for all operations."

Also I believe all FDs have the new APX radios. The Phoenix site hasn't been updated in years.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
From what I understand FFD has no interest in using the RWC system for fire ground work.

Eugene

I do have a question concerning the VHF patches on the RWC system. I notice that the A2-A13 VHF patches on the RWS system are encrypted. Does this mean the VHF A2-A13 are encrypted as well. I don't live there but may travel on occasion and don't need to input them if they are. Thanks in advance.

Eugene KG4AVE

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
The VHF frequencies are analog in the clear. The entire VHF system is simplex with mountain top base stations for the alarm room, and dozens of receive only sites around the valley. No repeaters means you will need to be within 1-2 miles of a mobile to hear them. You will only hear the base stations unless you are very close to the incident.

The patches on the RWC trunked system are encrypted. These would be nice to hear as they transmit what the alarm room hears with all of the receive sites. Don't bother programming these talkgroups.

Eugene

Thanks......makes one wonder why analog in the clear and patches are encrypted. I know this dead horse is still being flogged but come on......fireground channels.....oh well.....

Eugene KG4AVE

radioguru6613

Thanks......makes one wonder why analog in the clear and patches are encrypted. I know this dead horse is still being flogged but come on......fireground channels.....oh well.....

Eugene KG4AVE

I've tried to figure that out for ages, makes zero sense other than "because they can" .. so to be clear, I can be a block away from a fire and listen to VHF analog in the clear but the same traffic is encrypted when trunked .. WTF! What recently graduated MBA did they leave in charge to make that decision!

Eugene

MBA........doubtful. Never underestimate the power of paranoia. So I will load analog and hope they haven't figured it out.

Eugene KG4AVE

Status
Not open for further replies.