• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Phx PD problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc7vtr

I got a used Pro-96 a couple of days ago and am not impressed with the quality of reception of Phoenix PD. I frequently (maybe 30% or more of the time) get garbled transmissions. Voice cuts in and out, wierd noise effects, etc. It seems to happen mostly on A deck and more often with the dispatchers than the officers. B deck and other systems, MCSO, DPS and Mesa (Only listen to this in the car as I approach/leave work) are much better. (Yes I know that MCSO and DPS are analog. :) )

I've tried both the standard rubber duck and the RS 800 MHz antenna at home (I-17 & Greenway). Neither antenna nor moving around in the house seem to make a difference. I've tried both antennas and a mag mount tri-band scanner antenna in the car but no difference. I still get garbled reception.

Suggestions?

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
There's a limited amount of things you can do. Make sure you have the DSP upgrade that allows CQPSK reception (do a search in the forums and you should be able to find a link to it) Another thing I do with mine is turn squelch all the way down. Also experiment with the attenuator. I've found in some locations I get better reception with the attenuator on.

Other than that, there's not a whole lot you can do. My scanner feed on SBN is run from an antenna strung up in my loft - my apartment is already on the second floor, so with the loft, the antenna is about 3 stories off the ground, and I still sometimes get garbled transmissions. I think much of it is adjacent channel interference. Once rebanding occurs and the system moves to 700 megs, things will hopefully improve.

-AZ

InlandAZ

"Once rebanding occurs and the system moves to 700 megs, things will hopefully improve."

I have no problem with MCSO or Phoenix, but I won't hold my breath with Mesa... I wasn't aware DPS shared the system (I have them programmed in a separate bank - UHF I think)...

So.. 700 is a done deal eh?

mesocyclone

Intermodulation and Desense

One thing to watch out for is getting signals that are too strong - that are not the ones you want. Unfortunately, with digital signals, these are MUCH harder to diagnose.

This causes two effects:

1) Intermodulation - signals can mix in the front end of your scanner (or, for that matter, other non-linear nearby devices or even far away transmitters). The result is a signal on the frequency your scanner wants to listen to - one that interferes with the desired signal.

2) Desense - a strong signal within the front end passband of your scanner, even if it is a ways from the signal you want to hear, can saturate the front end and strongly attenuate all other signals. For example, the Radio Shack 2004-2006 scanners, at my house about 10 miles from South Mountain, will knock down all VHF public safety frequencies by 30dB (a factor of 1000!). This happens if I put a good antenna on the scanner. Hence I use a Grove Enterprises pre-filter and an attenuator. When you reduce the power of all signals coming in, perversely the signal you want can get stronger in this situation.

Thus I would suggest fiddling with attenuators (if you suspect you have good reception of interfering signals) and better antennas (otherwise) - or both if you don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.