PHX RWC Tower Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

janetball1994

Folks --

I'm attempting to get myself out of RWC multipath hell by setting up Dave's directional log periodic (DPD Productions) and absent good transmitter locations, I've been experimenting with pointing the antenna. It would help if I knew RWC simulcast transmitter latitudes/longitudes. Of course, there is a VERY rough map of these in the latest Southwest Frequency Directory, which I own.

Anyone have better information on RWC tower locations? I am in the Ahwatukee area.

ElectricHead

Its a small world....I have the 700-950 MHz UHF Plus LP Model and am also in Ahwatukee.
I am up on the roof now doing the same thing. No luck getting Simulcast A yet. Need the tower locations as well.

JFR

janetball1994

Small world indeed!

Ah yes, "up on the roof." Apparently, outside antennas of all sorts are officially prohibited by the HOA here in antiquarian Ahwatukee. Thus, I have to keep mine as invisible from the street as possible (impossible, actually). Keep in touch and I'll let you know what's working for me. I'd appreciate the same.

ElectricHead

Well, I get very little from the Sky Harbor tower Simulcast A so thats out.
Going to try C and F next.

ElectricHead

Ok...
I have it pointing south-east, about 128 degrees. I am picking up Phoenix PD, Chandler PD Phoenix Fire (simulcast C) and Tempe PD and Phoenix Fire (simulcast F). This is using the database download from RR.

Fire comes in perfectly clear as does Tempe PD. Simulcast C is good but I get a few misses here and there. Much better than it was and Daves antenna really works nice.

I had him mod it for Air band onmi and that is as clear as can be.

JFR

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

There should be a link from the RWC database page that goes to the FCC's location information.

janetball1994

Ok...
I have it pointing south-east, about 128 degrees. I am picking up Phoenix PD, Chandler PD Phoenix Fire (simulcast C) and Tempe PD and Phoenix Fire (simulcast F). This is using the database download from RR.

Fire comes in perfectly clear as does Tempe PD. Simulcast C is good but I get a few misses here and there. Much better than it was and Daves antenna really works nice.

I had him mod it for Air band onmi and that is as clear as can be.

JFR

Smaller world! I asked Dave to mod my UHF LP for air band as well. I find that Simulcast C is best for me here with the LP pointing about 70 degrees. You may have your LP higher than mine (tight-sphinctered neighbors here), which is about 20ft from ground level.

Actually, tomorrow I'm going to put up Dave's 118-1000 MHz Scanner LP Model elsewhere on the roof and see how it does. I'll report that info here.

Last edited:

W6KRU

If you guys have a PSR-500/600 or RS PRO-106/197, you could always use the analyze function and peak the RSSI reading while rotating the antenna.

ecps92

A KMZ/KML could be generated for google earth based on the FCC FRN for the licensee, if you have that or one/two of the Call Signs.

Folks --

I'm attempting to get myself out of RWC multipath hell by setting up Dave's directional log periodic (DPD Productions) and absent good transmitter locations, I've been experimenting with pointing the antenna. It would help if I knew RWC simulcast transmitter latitudes/longitudes. Of course, there is a VERY rough map of these in the latest Southwest Frequency Directory, which I own.

Anyone have better information on RWC tower locations? I am in the Ahwatukee area.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
HOA's truly are a pain in the butt. Like a little piddly antenna on YOUR OWN ROOF is going to lower someone else's property value. Gimme a break.

I'm going to be moving near that area as well next month, and I'm in for even more fun than dealing with some nazi HOA. I'm going to be living in an apartment on the ground floor. :)

Any recommendations on a good antenna I can set up indoors for the RWC? I'm looking forward to once again monitoring PPD.

-AZ

ElectricHead

If you want to listen to the RWC, indoors is awful. I had a Diamond discone in the attic for awhile and all I really picked up well was air.
The antenna I have now (DPD 700-950 MHz UHF Plus LP) is about 30 feet off the ground on my roof by way of a 10 foot mast mounted on the eve.

The 700-950 MHz part of it is pretty directional (unlike the Discone); makes a huge difference when trying to monitor this simulcast nightmare.

Maybe some sort of Yagi indoors pointed in the right direction.

janetball1994

Any recommendations on a good antenna I can set up indoors for the RWC? I'm looking forward to once again monitoring PPD.

-AZ

EH has the right idea. I had quite good luck with this in my attic before I put up the DPD's:

Wilson Electronics Yagi Antenna Y8009EL Tri-Band

700-800 MHz, 13 dBi Gain
824-894 MHz, 13 dBi Gain
880-960 MHz, 13 dBi Gain

It's a cell antenna, but broad-banded enough for the RWC. Like all yagis, it's very directional, but once you get it pointed at a tower, it's good.

janetball1994

I should have added to the preceding post about the Wilson yagi that I was also using a steep band-pass filter of my own design and a commercial preamp with that antenna at the time. The arrangement produced adequate results with the RWC (principally Decks C & F at my location) with the antenna in the attic-- albeit only "adequate". That's why I braved potential HOA hell and put up the DPD LPs on the roof.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Yeah, I've been meaning to build a yagi for some time now. I attempted it once but my tools sucked at the time and so it didn't turn out, but I've since got a brand new toolset including a drill that I have yet to put to good use. So I might give it another go since putting antennas on the roof is simply not an option for me.I do have a patio though, I might be able to get away with putting a yagi up out there. :)

Thanks for the info everyone.
-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.