Pi-Star EOL and WPSD Replacement Includes FM?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
As documented on both the Pi-Star Help Forum itself Debian updates failing: public keys not available - forum.pistar.uk and Amateur Radio Notes Amateur Radio Notes: Pi-Star development of the venerable Pi-Star software has come to an end. It is still working well for thousands I’m certain, but further development may not be in the cards. Kudos to MW0MWZ for a stable and long-running software product.

So a number of us with hotspots have embraced the apparent replacement for Pi-Star, “WPSD” found here W0CHP-PiStar-Dash (WPSD) - W0CHP.net

I just migrated one of my Pi-Zero hotspots to WPSD and it’s running well albeit slowly as cautioned. There is an interesting item on the Admin dashboard at Configuration > Advanced > Quick Editors > MMDVM Host > FM (scroll way down past POCSAG and Lock File options) and you’ll see an “FM” option? That was VERY interesting so I went back to the W0CHP website for more info and …. nothing. Is there an FM option? The FM settings also include a PL tone option. I don’t use Facebook or Discord (the “official” support forums) but I couldn’t find anything on the W0CHP site. Can anyone here shed light on a possible FM option for hotspots?

K3FZT

Premium Subscriber
pi-star is used as repeater controller software on some repeaters. That's why it's there. No, you will not be able to put out FM over the internet from your hotspot. 73 de K3FZT / Steve

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Steve! Upon closer examination of the original Pi-Star software I see that the FM settings were there. I had just been skimming by them because I'm not running an FM repeater. So nothing new here after all.