Pi-star Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9MRJ

Premium Subscriber
Just got a new Pi-star and having problems getting it programmed. Most you tube videos are outdated. Is there anywhere I can go to get a current example of how to get my Pi-star programmed?

w2xq

Mentor
A bit more information might help. What/whose PiStar unit do you have? What size card? What version of PiStar are you trying to install? Did it ever connect to your network? No promises but let's see what happens.

N9MRJ

Premium Subscriber
A bit more information might help. What/whose PiStar unit do you have? What size card? What version of PiStar are you trying to install? Did it ever connect to your network? No promises but let's see what happens.
I have attached screen shots of my configuration. It does connect to my wi-fi. I am using a TYT MD-UV380 for the radio. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• hotspot.jpg
    hotspot.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 44
  • ps1.jpg
    ps1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 49
  • ps2.jpg
    ps2.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 54
  • ps3.jpg
    ps3.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 46
  • ps4.jpg
    ps4.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 44
  • ps5.jpg
    ps5.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 35

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
You need to add your DMR ID number in the css7/DMR Id block.. In the MMDVM Display Type.. The second box should be MODEM for the dispaly to work.. Make sure to Apply Changes

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Also change your Radio Modem Type to: STM32-DVM / MMDVM_HS Raspberry Pi Hat (GPIO)

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Then the display is set up correctly.. Does it show anything else besides closed?

N9MRJ

Premium Subscriber
Then the display is set up correctly.. Does it show anything else besides closed?
There is what appears to be a line of text that flashes momentarily when I apply changes and before the closed is displayed. This is at the bottom of the screen.

w2xq

Mentor
I have attached screen shots of my configuration. It does connect to my wi-fi. I am using a TYT MD-UV380 for the radio. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
I have two MD-UV380 radios; they are good radios. In addition to the above comments, I note differences comparing configurations. No guarantees but let's see.

general config
1. enter DMR id
2. Lat 33.57 Long -112.45 (for your town)
3. try turning off aprs

dmr config
1. I assume you've double-checked your password in DMR Hotspot Security.
2. my color code is 1. why 8?
3. try turning off DMR EmbeddedLCOnly

Fingers crossed. Let us all know.

Perhaps maybe of interest:

Last edited:

N9MRJ

Premium Subscriber
I have two MD-UV380 radios; they are good radios. In addition to the above comments, I note differences comparing configurations. No guarantees but let's see.

general config
1. enter DMR id
2. Lat 33.57 Long -112.45 (for your town)
3. try turning off aprs

dmr config
1. I assume you've double-checked your password in DMR Hotspot Security.
2. my color code is 1. why 8?
3. try turning off DMR EmbeddedLCOnly

Fingers crossed. Let us all know.

Perhaps maybe of interest:

No luck on suggested changes. This is my second DMR set up. A friend helped me with the first one, then after several months of disuse, it stopped. I bricked the radio trying to get it fixed. He just 8 for the color code.

w2xq

Mentor
I assume you have unlocked the radio?

The new UV-380 radios may be "locked" in response to the https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-980A1.pdf September 24, 2018, FCC advisory on import, sale and use of unauthorized VHF/UHF two way radios. Also see an informal FCC issues advisory against the import, sale and use of unauthorized UHF/VHF two way radios explanation. Although one can load a codeplug into the radio, transmit will not work. If the radio won't transmit and has a Men Utililities Radio Info Versions firmware version of 18 or higher, unlock the radio thusly. (1) Turn off the radio. (2) Simultaneously depressing the small buttons above and below the PTT button, turn the radio on.

The other suggestion is to try an abbreviated MD-UV380 codeplug that I made up for the Colorado Digital members. It is the third of the five codeplugs. The link: https://coloradodigital.net/files/

If it works as is, then you'll have to change out the talkgroups. Test as you go along, adding one or two talkgroups at a time. and save a new backup as you add and test.

I use a file naming format of "uv380-yyyymmddhhmm" where y/year, m/month, d/day, h/24hr, and m/minute. At the time I am writing this, the file name would be "uv380-202207290117" -- sorting the multiple backups puts them in order. Eventually you can dispose of the early test files.

HTH.

w2xq

Mentor
[ wrote up my methodology of organizing the talkgroups. Perhaps it may help or give you an idea to set up your codeplug.

It is a bit outdated re the clickable talkgroup audio link. Just forget the step 9 column G entry, as the software gurus rebuilt an entirely new listening mechanism.

HTH.

N9MRJ

Premium Subscriber
Still no joy, I did find out what that flashing text was when I apply changes, it is the regular logo that is supposed to be on the screen all of the time. Green light on steady, red light flashing everything in the green on the dashboard. Going to switch over to the Anytone and see if that works better.

Status
Not open for further replies.