Pi-Star v4.1 rc1 now available

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
Andy Taylor MW0MWZ released Pi-Star version 4.1 release candidate 1 on July 2. Find it it the beta download directory on pistar.uk.

It seems to work well. As with the move from 3.4.x to 4.0, an update from the Configuration menu won't work. Do a fresh install, copy the setting backup ZIP onto the card, and allow time for the hotspot to start up anew. HTH.

w2xq

Mentor
How well does 4.1 work on a Pi 3B? Are there heat issues like there is with the new Pi 4?
From what I read on Colorado HD's Telegram, 4.1 works fine on all the Pi units. (Further development on 4.0 has ended.) I installed it on my Jumbospot (Pi0) Chinese units on July 2. I have read of several installs on Pi3x units. The Pi4 heat issues, from what I read, are due to the chipset.

w2xq

Mentor
Pi-Star v4.1 seems stable to me in two Rpi 0 hotspots. Andy wrote in the Announcement forum that further 4.0 development won't happen, but he won't quickly abandon those 4.0 users. True, the 4.1 release was delayed by a tweak for the Rpi 4 but apparently all is well now for 4.1 rc 1 to hit the distribution channel. I can't speak to changes--the forums may address those--but my attitude? Go for the gusto (and I swapped out a 4.0 rc4 card now in the desk drawer).

FWIW the fellows on Colorado HD Telegram were also installing 4.1 on Rpi units 0 through 4. No one had anything bad to say. BTW the next next is Tuesday 1930 Mountain time on tg 31088. I'm guessing v4.1 will be discussed.

w2xq

Mentor
V4.1 RC2 is available as an *upgrade* (use SSH or use 'Upgrade' on the Expert menu). Fixes a few reported issues. It took about 2 minutes to run it on my Jumbospot. The Dashboard date will not advance.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
E-marked USB C cables - sometime I think we out-smart ourself in the technology race. Not the first time I’ve shot my self in the foot, not the last...

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Under 4.1.0-RC2, dashboard updated to 20190709 this morning.
Unknow what that improves/fixes at this time.

Phoenix805

Under 4.1.0-RC2, dashboard updated to 20190709 this morning.
Unknow what that improves/fixes at this time.

Are you saying the date is off by 1 day (7/9, not 7/10)? I had a problem with the date and time recently. I tried several things and nothing worked until one gentleman offered a fix that worked. If that's your problem, here's a link to a previous thread with a solution that helped near the bottom: https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/pi-star-time-date.390203/

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
No, Dashboard updates are date stamped by effective date not date I have run the command. My date and time are good.
P.S. see W2XQ post #8 this thread.

w2xq

Mentor
V4.1 rc 3 has been out since July 9. Various tweaks and fixes applied. Andy has been quiet this month in terms of changes so I don't see why anyone shouldn't bump up to rc 3. I would recommend grabbing the latest beta (rc 2 at the moment) from the beta download directory and make a new image, followed up an Upgrade and an Update to bring it forward. (I recommend first formatting the SD card--I use either a Sandisk or PNY 16 gb class 10--with
SD Memory Card Formatter 5.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC or equivalent.)

Don't forget to first back up your settings in a config file. FWIW, I have updated my DMR links W2XQ.com : Amateur Radio: DMR webpage. It includes links to upgrading PiStar written by Toshen.

And a reminder: the Coloradio HD Net Colorado Digital Multiprotocol System discussing all things digital now meets weekly on Tuesday evenings at 1930 Mountain time. Ask questions in part 2 of the net. Topic discussion in part 3, buy/sell/swap in part 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.