• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Picked up a Midland 75-790 on Ebay

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
A couple months ago I bought a Midland 75-790 CB off of Ebay to see how the metal telescopic antenna walked and talked compared to a duck on a Radioshack 21-1679A handheld. Blew it right out of the water.

The 75-790 is a big radio for sure, requiring 10 rechargable batteries and needing to fit a 51" antenna into a foot-long space. The thing really is a brick, almost an entire block, but it's amazed me how well it performs. I can get about 5 miles out talking locally, no skip, standing on my deck outside my house. To get that same kind of range out of the duck antenna, I'd need to be 15 feet or so off the ground.

The version of the 75-790 I have doesn't have an external antenna or DC power jack, those are on the "blue logo" variant of the radio, which were primarily sold overseas from what I can gather. There's also a French version of the 75-790, likely a rebadged unit, which looks nothing like the standard 75-790. That's the most common result you get when you google it, and I have to admit, it doesn't look all too bad.

As for skip comms, I've reached all the way out to Oregon and Arkansas standing about 8 feet up on a metal surface. I'm 6'2, so that places the base of the antenna around 14.5 feet or so. The antenna itself is 51 inches, or 4'3", making the total height at the antenna dome just about 18'9" above ground level. Not sure what the technical details on what my odds are of making it out there but when the skip rolls in, it's either enough or not enough.

Anyways, it's a great radio and I've enjoyed messing around with it. If anyone does have the manual to it though, please scan it if you can and upload it, it's been impossible to find. Also, if you have one of these radios, how has it performed for you? What kind of talking did you get out of it?