Picked up a used Homepatrol 2 - MN Armer System Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

sir99

Premium Subscriber
Good morning! I picked up a used Uniden Homepatrol 2 yesterday. I used to have one of these units several years ago, so I'm familiar with it and with using Sentinel to program it.

When I plugged it in and updated it with Sentinel, I now show a database updated as of 1/17/2021, but I'm picking up almost nothing when I turn it on and listen.

What I do get are some ambulance dispatch frequencies from quite a long ways away, some through the MN Armer system, some outside of it, so I think that the unit itself and the antenna are okay. But I'm not getting any of the same things that I hear through the Broadcastify stream locally.

Curious if anyone might have a tip for me as to where I might be going wrong!

sir99

Premium Subscriber
Hi & welcome:
I'm seeing many sites on the ARMER system contain simulcast cells. Your HP-2 might not be the best choice to track it. Have a read about simulcast distortion, it's one of the most discussed topics on the forums. I'd recommend selling the HP2 to help fund an SDS100 or 200 to properly track the system

Thank you for that. I might have to do that if I'm not getting this running, but at this point I'm not even getting the distorted versions, so it still seems like something is off in my settings....

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Many parts of MN are pretty flat, so multipath (which causes simulcast problems) is possibly minimal? Of course, depending on where you are at.
I'd take a good look at all of your settings/programming and maybe also ask in the MN forum?

tvengr

Well Known Member
When I plugged it in and updated it with Sentinel, I now show a database updated as of 1/17/2021, but I'm picking up almost nothing when I turn it on and listen.
Please export a hpe file of your favorites list and attach it and I will check it for problems. You will have to right click on the file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped folder. What is your city and county?

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
I'm from central minnesota, where are you at? Hennepin county Law is encrypted, if thats where you are at. Other metro area counties will be encrypted within the next couple years.
As some have mentioned, simulcast can be an issue.
I would have this thread moved to the Minnesota forum. Just click the report button and ask moderators to move to Minnesota forum.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree with TVENGR - post a copy of the programming (HPE file zipped) and let us know about where you are. Minnesota is a complicated system and there are many things that can be your issue.

You aren't getting the same things from your scanner that you get from Broadcastify because there is a programming difference.

Station51

As I recall from my HP2 which I don't have anymore.....There is also a DISTANCE setting. I have had that experience where I wasn't receiving although the service types were correct then I realized that the distance was too limited. As I result I always set the distance to the max and problem solved. Just a thought, good luck.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
"Other metro area counties will be encrypted within the next couple years."

I know OtterTail isn't metro, but do you possibly have info on their going to encryption - or use of ?
I see some DEs... But, looking at FF dispatch, it has both a DE and a D talkgroup....

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
I apologize for the late getting back - notification got lost in my email. There is another member in your area, so hopefully they might chime in

As far as encryption, I'm not sure in that area.

As others have suggested, check your range settings and service types

Status
Not open for further replies.