Picked up my first radio. How do I scan ambo/fire frequencies on Baofeng UV-5R?

Krilly

Picked up my very first walkie talkie, the Baofeng UV-5R, with the intent to listen into ambo/fire comms.
I've chucked in the frequency I found on Radio Reference but all I'm getting is static? I've heard something about talk groups but have no idea what that is.
How can I set up my radio to actually pick up something other than static?

I live in NSW and I don't know if frequencies and scanning works different here compared to other states.

GROL

I looked in the database for NSW. You mentioned talkgroups which suggests trunked systems and all I see are digital systems. The UV-5R cannot decode anything digital. If the systems were analog trunked the UV-5R could demodulate voice, but it would not be able to follow trunkgroup conversations. This suggests you do not have the right type of radio. You likely need a digital scanner radio. Maybe someone in you area can confirm.

ausharrold

Premium Subscriber
Most are on P25, go and buy a P25 scanner they will go to p25 phase 2 soon so you could waste your money if you get scanner with P25 only. I am not sure if they will encrypt. Use a usb tvtuner and Unitrunker 2.0 this will decode P25 using a computer.

Cheers

Harry

Buy a Uniden USDS100. Ryda will match pricing, and there are other places too. Get the OzScan SD card or download for $20. This will get you on the PSN instantly and you can listen to everything regardless of your skill level (it is a tricky scanner to learn) or location. I am an experienced scanner listener but this card is invaluable.

Sheepdog777

AE0TO
Picked up my very first walkie talkie, the Baofeng UV-5R, with the intent to listen into ambo/fire comms.
I've chucked in the frequency I found on Radio Reference but all I'm getting is static? I've heard something about talk groups but have no idea what that is.
How can I set up my radio to actually pick up something other than static?

I live in NSW and I don't know if frequencies and scanning works different here compared to other states.
You're going to want to buy a Uniden SDS100, picks up everything but crypto. It is worth the $650-$700 bucks, if you're really into scanning. Love mine, and the Free Sentinel Software is super easy to use.

Attachments

• Uniden SDS100 Owner's Manual (2019).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • C-32 SDSAM 80002 with Marine Ones 3-Card Monte Shuffle (TS-YANKEE WHITE KEK).jpg
    C-32 SDSAM 80002 with Marine Ones 3-Card Monte Shuffle (TS-YANKEE WHITE KEK).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 7

GROL

I am constantly amazed by the number of questions about scanning public safety with those cheap a** Chinese radios. I haven't seen the marketing that touts they can scan all public safety. Only if your area uses old conventional frequencies which is getting more rare these days.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
You're going to want to buy a Uniden SDS100, picks up everything but crypto. It is worth the $650-$700 bucks, if you're really into scanning. Love mine, and the Free Sentinel Software is super easy to use.
Sheepdog is right. The technology has changed dramatically over the years. Anymore, there are more signals the Beofeng won't pick than signals that it will. Here in the states, hardly a day goes by that an agency doesn't upgrade its communications equipment. I'm sure New South Wales is the same way.

K7MFC

WRAA720
I am constantly amazed by the number of questions about scanning public safety with those cheap a** Chinese radios. I haven't seen the marketing that touts they can scan all public safety. Only if your area uses old conventional frequencies which is getting more rare these days.

I try not to fault the user here - they had good intentions and are exited about radio. They just made a mistake by not doing enough research.