Picked up Tecumseh, OK 145.290 Repeater from Central Massachusetts - 2m FM Mode: Possible?

KC1THE

I am located in central Massachusetts. I was scanning the imported DR Memories on my ICOM IC-705 for the first time (about 6:55am EST) and picked up a repeater in Tecumseh, Oklahoma (K5DOK: 145.290 PL 141.3).

The two gentlemen having a conversation signed off with call-signs starting with "K".

I did make a call after they signed off but no response.

Is it possible to pick up a repeater that far in FM Mode. My antenna is mounted indoors next to my radio: a Comet SBB5.

Tecumseh_OK_Rptr_20240626_0655.jpeg

N1FKO

Premium Subscriber
The atmosphere can do funny things, and summer VHF tropo is a thing. I once had a nice 250 mile QSO on 2m with someone standing in their back yard with an HT. Oklahoma seems like a long way; I'd be suspicious but never say never.

KC1THE

The atmosphere can do funny things, and summer VHF tropo is a thing. I once had a nice 250 mile QSO on 2m with someone standing in their back yard with an HT. Oklahoma seems like a long way; I'd be suspicious but never say never.
Thanks, I just picked another Oklahoma repeater in UHF FM mode (W5KS: 443.850 PL 88.5) with "K" call-sign sign-offs.

I'll keep on scanning this morning. The radio is stopping on a lot of other Oklahoma stations but with static only.

ecps92

I am located in central Massachusetts. I was scanning the imported DR Memories on my ICOM IC-705 for the first time (about 6:55am EST) and picked up a repeater in Tecumseh, Oklahoma (K5DOK: 145.290 PL 141.3).

The two gentlemen having a conversation signed off with call-signs starting with "K".

I did make a call after they signed off but no response.

Is it possible to pick up a repeater that far in FM Mode. My antenna is mounted indoors next to my radio: a Comet SBB5.

View attachment 164710
You are most likely picking up a LOCAL (New England) Repeater - connected via Echo Link or another networking

and your 443.8500 was likely EPSOM NH

I say this, based on the Poor band conditions we have had here in New England this week

Last edited: