Picking a Scanner for Laurel

Status
Not open for further replies.

High_Speed

Hi all. I am new to the board. Just recently decided to get a new scanner and found this site in my research. I've read all about the different types of scanners these days, and I'm pretty familiar with an old school conventional scanner. But I still seem to be a bit fuzzy on this whole trunking conceept. Mainly because when I look at London (40741) in the database it lists some trunking systems, and then it lists a bunch of frequencies. Can anyone help me a bit? I'm trying to decide between a GRE PSR-100 or a PSR-300. Do I NEED the PSR-300?

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to rr.com, High_Speed.... if you want to monitor the Kentucky State Police you'll need a PSR 500 or one of the other digital scanners... be sure to get the programming software for which ever scanner you buy--that will save the fingers and make it easy to get entire scanner loads from other people who would be willing to share them with you...

High_Speed

Gotcha! But let's say I'm not concerned with KSP, as a PSR-500 is certainly more than I care to, or can for that matter, spend at this time. Does anybody know if a PSR-100 will do the job for the rest of the local traffic around laurel? I'm trying to figure out if I even need a trunking scanner for the rest of Laurel (again KSP excluded from the equation).

I notice in the database for Laurel it lists frequencies, but beside some of those it also lists an "input" which is a different frequency? This confuses me, as most of the listings on the page only give one frequency.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
If all you want to monitor is Laurel the PSR 100 will do you very well, the only drawback is that you won't be able to isolate a freq with CTCSS/DCS. Some of the nearby counties are supposed to be going digital in the near future (not sure of their individual time lines, yet), but haven't seen anything about Laurel making the switch anytime soon. The freqs you'll need to enter are the ones in the extreme left hand column labeled "Frequency".

High_Speed

Thanks for the info unitcharlie! Can you direct me to where I can find more info on what you're talking about when you say CTCSS/DCS? I'm confused now as to howw that would benefit me.

Status
Not open for further replies.