Picking up an R70 tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Meeting a widower tomorrow who's selling her late husband's R70. Still in the original box (saw pix) and according to her, it's been in the box for the last 15 years.

I won't have access to a SW antenna when I go to look at it, so I won't be able to check the RX. With that in mind, what else should I be looking at/for?

TIA

dkf435

First power supply, display, audio and RX. When they get that old capacitors are a problem and some older Icoms have the trimmer cap problem. Here is a site with a list.

ANTENNIT

David Kb7uns

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
So I did end up buying it. Testing reveals freqs between 5-20 MHz are 1 MHz off (using WWV @ 5, 10, 15, 20 MHz). Once up to 25MHz (using a local AM station's IFB or RTS at 25.950) it seems to be in proper frequency alignment.

Other than that, audio is strong, the unit looks like it has been boxed most of its life - front panel is immaculate, including meter, and freq counter.

Time to do some research...

Last edited:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Talked with Kuni at Icom who explained the "edge of band" known issue with this receiver. Once away from ".0000" freqs, receiver is dead on.

11.175 USB very clear (S9) with Offut wkg Trapezoid for PP :D

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Not sure how happy the wife will be...but my office is in the "basement" anyway...:roll:

Clearly it's time for a dedicated shelving unit. :wink:

SCPD

QRT
So I did end up buying it. Testing reveals freqs between 5-20 MHz are 1 MHz off (using WWV @ 5, 10, 15, 20 MHz). Once up to 25MHz (using a local AM station's IFB or RTS at 25.950) it seems to be in proper frequency alignment.

Other than that, audio is strong, the unit looks like it has been boxed most of its life - front panel is immaculate, including meter, and freq counter.

Time to do some research...

You bought a really old radio ... I just hope that you didn't pay much for it seeing as how it obviously has problems.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I'm satisfied with what I spent for it.

As for the edge of band issues - since there are only 4 freqs between 150 kHz and 30 MHz that I'd listen to that this affects, I'm not too worried about it.:wink:

Thanks for your encouraging words though.

Last edited:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
It's no R8500 or even R75, but yes - glad I picked it up.

Funny - I'm sitting on 6676 as I type this. Waiting to see if I hear Sydney VOLMET :wink:

I haven't seen many R70s here either - R71s I see quite often.

Status
Not open for further replies.