Picking up CHP on HomePatrol 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanLP456

Premium Subscriber
In my car I used to have a Pro-96 with the standard rubber ducky antenna and CHP Santa Rosa would come in loud and clear on their base freq. Now I’ve switched to my HomePatrol 1 in the car. Using the same rubber ducky antenna, CHP comes in almost never, and when it does it will come in and out (no static, just broken portions of the transmissions). I switched to a Diamond RH77CA antenna with no improvement. Does HP just not do good with low band? Is there a portable antenna that can do better with low band reception? Thank you :)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The RH77CA doesn't do low band, nor does the Uniden factory duck. If you want good RX below 100MHz, you'll need to buy or make an antenna tuned specifically for the CHP freqs.

wowologist

Certifiable
Actually you need some Bingfu combo #5. LOL on a whim I ordered one of these (at the time it was OMG 10.95$) ...just to see what all these naysayers actually know about VALUE. Guess what it woks like a charm (pun intended). Not the same seller I purchased mine from and I have no connection with the seller... ( Amazon.com: Bingfu VHF UHF Ham Radio Amateur Radio Mobile Radio Scanner Antenna Police Scanner Antenna Magnetic Base BNC Male Antenna Compatible with Uniden Bearcat Whistler Radio Shack Police Radio Scanner: Home Audio & Theater )

And ofcourse ther are better and worse. This works and for the price if it doesnt (for some reason) you'll still be able to sleep at night!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
An antenna that short isn't going to work well on VHF low, no matter how much bingfu it's got sprinkled on it.

Listen to Jon, you really need a low band antenna if you want reliable low band reception.

As for why the old one worked and why the new one doesn't, different receivers will have different levels of sensitivity on specific frequencies. Actually I'm pretty surprised a rubber ducky antenna worked at all inside your car. That's about the worst environment for them.
Also, CHP has been known to move things around.

CityNewsSupport

City News Support
Premium Subscriber
My Antenna Setup Works Well In Sonoma County I use a Laird C-40 for CHP & A Larson Tri Band For all others Both NMO mount Antennas! The only sketchy reception I get is Calfire LNU West The Laird C-40 is the same antenna the CHP used for years Under the Antennex Brand.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
In my car I used to have a Pro-96 with the standard rubber ducky antenna and CHP Santa Rosa would come in loud and clear on their base freq. Now I’ve switched to my HomePatrol 1 in the car. Using the same rubber ducky antenna, CHP comes in almost never,

I think a lot of folks here missed OP's actual issue, that CHP used to come in just fine (for him). Switched radios and now it doesn't come in at all. Of course a tuned antenna for 42Mhz would be amazing, but that doesn't negate the fact it no longer works when it used to.

I can attest to the same issue when I was forced to swap my BCT15X with a Whistler 1098. That 15X, with an NMO mounted laird ABSCANC, got plenty of CHP action throughout my state ventures. The Whistler is absolutely maddeningly deaf on CHP. I kept looking down at first wondering if my radio was even on. Yup. Put the 15X back on temporarily, non-stop CHP action. Ran both on a multicoupler for a trip down the state and after acclimating to a few years of a much quieter Whistler, I actually found myself yelling at the 15X to shutup it got so much CHP. It's so frustrating not being able to run my 15X as my daily mobile rig anymore.

So yes, indeed, all other factors the same, some radios just plain $!&T the bed with low band or other bands.

scoutcamper

Premium Subscriber
I think a lot of folks here missed OP's actual issue, that CHP used to come in just fine (for him). Switched radios and now it doesn't come in at all. Of course a tuned antenna for 42Mhz would be amazing, but that doesn't negate the fact it no longer works when it used to.

I can attest to the same issue when I was forced to swap my BCT15X with a Whistler 1098. That 15X, with an NMO mounted laird ABSCANC, got plenty of CHP action throughout my state ventures. The Whistler is absolutely maddeningly deaf on CHP. I kept looking down at first wondering if my radio was even on. Yup. Put the 15X back on temporarily, non-stop CHP action. Ran both on a multicoupler for a trip down the state and after acclimating to a few years of a much quieter Whistler, I actually found myself yelling at the 15X to shutup it got so much CHP. It's so frustrating not being able to run my 15X as my daily mobile rig anymore.

So yes, indeed, all other factors the same, some radios just plain $!&T the bed with low band or other bands.

Similar experience here. My 996XT works awesome for CHP, a borrowed SDS100 on the same antenna as my 996XT doesnt work on CHP hardly at all. I think most scanner companies have made their lowband pretty well deaf in their newer models...

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
If you want to be serious about receiving CHP, especially mobiles, you need a low band antenna outside the vehicle. There are also issues related to CT decoding, if you are using that, depending on the radio model. With the typical noise on low band, I require a valid CT value to be received. For receivers that have a dedicated IC for this function, they work great. If it's done via some other means, it might need to be tuned. I have custom settings on my PSR-500 because of this.

MrThompson

Try a Comet SMA-24 and keep the antenna in the glass. CHP tested in all of our vehicles with an Icom R30, Icom R6 and yes, the SDS100 (the first SDS100 I had couldn't hear poopoo, Jon for the sake of your keyboard I hope your mouth is liquid free while reading this).

DanLP456

Premium Subscriber
I bought the SpectrumForce Wideband antenna and solved all my problems :D I'm working from home now, but when it comes to putting the HomePatrol back in the car I think I have the perfect place on the hood to put it and the coax is small enough you can close the door on it. Oddly enough guys, an old Radio Shack "expanded range" rubber ducky antenna I put on the scanner when I moved it indoors ended up pulling in CHP great.

Status
Not open for further replies.