Picking Up Commercial Airlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBall517

I was wanting to know if there was a way i could pick up TYS airport Comm i live about 30 mi away from the airport but live next to a repeater. I am new to this stuff.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Unless you're on a hill relative to the airport, it's very unlikely that you will be able to hear the airport ground stations. They use antennas that 'aim up' more than stations intended for talking to units on the ground, and use (generally) much less power, too, since they expect to have a good line of sight on aircraft, and don't need more than 10-50 watts max. Most likely their antennas will be no more than 100 feet off the ground (if on a tall building), and range is no more than 10-20 miles, if that. Of course, the range to aircraft is MUCH longer, due to the height of the aircraft.

Now, the aircraft, you can hear.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
While you are a long way from the commercial airport you might hear something thru VOR relay and you should easily hear the airplanes.

You need to find a pilot to walk you thru use of an aeronautical chart to figure out the frequencies for your area.

A slow day at the local small airport might find someone willing to talk to you about it.

RR also lists the High and Low Altitude Enroute frequencies for various areas. Carefully check the listings for your state.
And check out the frequencies on this website
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KTYS Looks like a busy airport.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.