Picking Up King George !

Status
Not open for further replies.

TERRANCE_2

I Want To Pick Up King George County Va. I Live In Indian Head. I Hear Them But Its Scratchy And On Some Days They Will Come Through Clear. I Purchased A vehicle Mount Antenna But Its Being Used In The House...... Any Ideas Or Help ?

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Is the frequency/PL programmed correctly?

I generally have no problem picking up KG from 30+ miles away while mobile, you shouldn't have any problem at all getting them in Indian Head.

TERRANCE_2

Lost !

Um....... I Have A Radio Shack Pro 2096. The Only Thing I Did Was Programmed 159.090 Was I Supposed To Do Something Extra ??

TERRANCE_2

Any Help !?!

Any One Have Anything Else I Might Be Able To Do ??

I Dont Understand The "pl" And Entering It Into The Scanner But I Have 159.090 Programed. If I Had The "pl" Programed Could I Hear Them Better ??

Dewey

TERRANCE_2 said:
Any One Have Anything Else I Might Be Able To Do ??

I Dont Understand The "pl" And Entering It Into The Scanner But I Have 159.090 Programed. If I Had The "pl" Programed Could I Hear Them Better ??

"PL" is the Motorola "slang" name for CTCSS (continuous tone coded squelch signal [or system]). In the early days before trunking, all the "biggies" had their slang names for CTCSS:

Motorola - PL (Private Line)
General Electric - CG (Channel Guard)
RCA - QC (Quiet Channel)

I'm sure I'm missing some, and someone like Mike (ka3jjz) will give me a hand. Now, back to the question... for FD, try 155.760, CTCSS 141.3 (4A), and for PD, try 159.090, CTCSS 146.2 (4B). I generally have no problem picking them up from Bryan's Road, but they're so quiet (infrequent transmissions), it's hard to park on the channel to asses the signal strength.

Dewey

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You nailed 'em all, Dewey. Full Marks, as my British friends used to say to me...73 Mike

TERRANCE_2

Ok Now Im Lost !

That Is All Fine And Dandy But ...... I Placed 159.090 In There But When I Placed The "pl" There I Could Not Hear Anything.

I Have Someone Else That Has A Base Scanner Not To Far From Here That Could Hear Them When I Could Not After Placing The "pl" In !!!

Im Lost !

JESSERABBIT

Have you programmed them at all without the pl frequency? If so, could you hear them?
If you did and you couldn't, then it may be an antenna issue. Also, do you have the attenuator activated? If so, try to receive the frequency without it being activated. Let us know if you have or have not found a solution.

TERRANCE_2

Um.....

The First Time I Had Just Put In 159.090 And It Came In Scratchy.

I Then Programed The "pl" Last Night And I Could Not Hear It.

The Antenna Is Brand New !

JESSERABBIT

Basically, the attenuator causes your scanner to loose it's sensitivy, ie: the scanner will not pick up weak signals but allows it to pick up stronger signals when it is activated. Sometimes that will help to "filter" out what you are not interested in hearing and sometimes it will not remedy the problem. It is worth a try and if it doesen't work, no harm-no foul. You have the ability to just use it on the frequency that the scanner is causing the problem.

scansomd

I can hear them perfectly here in Saint Mary's County with the PL's listed below.

Dewey said:
"PL" is the Motorola "slang" name for CTCSS (continuous tone coded squelch signal [or system]). In the early days before trunking, all the "biggies" had their slang names for CTCSS:

Motorola - PL (Private Line)
General Electric - CG (Channel Guard)
RCA - QC (Quiet Channel)

I'm sure I'm missing some, and someone like Mike (ka3jjz) will give me a hand. Now, back to the question... for FD, try 155.760, CTCSS 141.3 (4A), and for PD, try 159.090, CTCSS 146.2 (4B). I generally have no problem picking them up from Bryan's Road, but they're so quiet (infrequent transmissions), it's hard to park on the channel to asses the signal strength.

Dewey

TERRANCE_2

oh well !

I havent had luck I am still getting them very scratchy. I even took the antenna back to the radio shack and they tested it on another scanner. Maybe its just where I am @. But I dont understand people are further away then I am and they can pick them up. Maybe they are just not ment for me to hear. Oh Well !

Dewey

TERRANCE_2 said:
I havent had luck I am still getting them very scratchy. I even took the antenna back to the radio shack and they tested it on another scanner. Maybe its just where I am @. But I dont understand people are further away then I am and they can pick them up. Maybe they are just not ment for me to hear. Oh Well !

Their signal is very good at Bryan's Road. I've attached a small 996 sample.

Dewey

Attachments

• KingGeorge.zip
    76 KB · Views: 42

TERRANCE_2

Thanks All !

thanks to everyone that helped. I put in the "PL" and placed the original ant. back on and I hear them crystal clear !

Status
Not open for further replies.