Picking Up Odd Talk Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medic32

Does anyone else pick up odd hit and miss ID's on the State 800 system you wouldn't expect. I catch Vinta and Miami PD on the Tulsa tower alot as well as Mediflight out of OKC. Im wondering if anyone else hears anything off their local tower they wouldn't expect?

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
That's one of my favorite parts of the DPS system! :) You never know what might pop up from time to time...

I don't listen to "everything" very often here at home, usually keep it filtered to just my primary interests. I ought to do it more often, but there can be so much going on. I'll occasionally listen that way while driving around and some of the more unusual stuff can be a nice change.

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
You can hear any TG, *as long as* a user on the site is listening to the TG in question (their radio tells the system they want to use TGID "x" and the system begins to transmit that TGID) or the site has been programmed to retransmit that TG all the time.

I'm not sure just why they would do the second, unless maybe the Moto rigs don't actually "register" a TGID when scanning? But for example here in OKC I can always hear Troop G (Lawton) even though they rarely get closer than Chickasha.

The first happens quite a bit. I occasionally hear a TPD TG, frequently can hear ambulance services from the Lawton area when one of their trucks are transporting to the metro, things like that.

n5bew1

I heard the radio techs from Tulsa talking one time about how troop G is always affiliated with OKC. I figured this is done because Grady county is so close to OKC plus the Bailey ends at Newcastle. They also pondered why G troop radios were not allowed to affiliate with Norman's site when that might come in handy some times. I guess the Moore water tower site looks down the Bailey well until Chickasha picks up. Chickasha's antenna's appear to be side mounted on the south side of that tower which can create a shaded area due north.

Last edited:

plaws

Premium Subscriber
I don't listen to "everything" very often here at home, usually keep it filtered to just my primary interests. I ought to do it more often, but there can be so much going on. I'll occasionally listen that way while driving around and some of the more unusual stuff can be a nice change.

System 99 on my BCD396XT is an "all" bank. I have as many central OK TGs in there as will fit and sites for 40, 8, 5, 6, 7, and 18, though I only usually bother with 40. I can then do a search and see who is active. I lockout the local stuff that I "know" and wait to see what I can catch.

Like you, though, I don't do it often enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.