Pictures of Yellow Battery Holder for Radio Shack Pro 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

idle00955

Does anyone have detailed pics of the yellow battery holder for the radio shack pro 96? what im looking for is pics of it all around and what not. i had to order one from radio shack and i want to see what is differen from the black one to the yellow one. any one got any pics?

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
There is one more metal part for the charging capability. I do not have a black holder anymore, but maybe someone can do a side by side picture for you. I did that once, but I think the picture joined the black holder :D

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Maybe, but probably easier to just buy a yellow one, or trade the black for a yellow by someone who would never charge anyway. I never used the yellow holder until I lost my black one :lol:

I think it is a bad idea to charge batteries inside the scanner, if there is a short or other major issue, you just risked a $300-500 scanner. I never did it with my $105 pro97 and I sure would not do it with a 96. Just my opinion though...

wnstrickland

I think it's a matter of: When you insert the charging plug into the side of the scanner, it disconnects the circuit that's common to both yellow and black holders, but it leaves connected the circuit that only the yellow holder has. In this way, if you have alkaline batteries in the black holder, the charger never applies a voltage to those batteries so it's a safety precaution. That's why the yellow holder warns never to put non-rechargeables into it. (It's okay to do so, of course, as long as you don't plug in the charger, too.)

I do believe (haven't checked this closely, but it's an impression I have) that I can remove the charger plug without causing a reset or hangup condition if there are charged batteries in the yellow holder installed, but if it's the black holder and I remove the charger plug, the scanner's power is interrupted and I have to recycle the power switch if I want it to behave properly.

(This is with a GRE PSR-500.)

jleverin

Am currently using the yellow holder with rechargeables in my pro-82 but recently bought a pro 97 and am using non-rechargeables due to the fact I haven't bought any more rechargeable batteries for that scanner. I have a yellow rechargeable holder but am still using the black holder and my 9v adapter to run the scanner so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.