pierce county "map page ####"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
What maps are they using when I hear dispatch give a location, followed by "Map Page xxx"?
is it a thomas guide?

Stavro35

I can't speak to departmental procedures here. But I have seen communities that have books with maps in them . And when the dispatch goes out they, the unites responding . can look on the map to see where they're being dispatched.

DickH

What maps are they using when I hear dispatch give a location, followed by "Map Page xxx"?
is it a thomas guide?

What is an exact map number you hear? Is it like 2345A, B, C or D?
If so, it is a regional map system. Here in Portland the numbers start in Astoria.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
I can't speak to departmental procedures here. But I have seen communities that have books with maps in them . And when the dispatch goes out they, the unites responding . can look on the map to see where they're being dispatched.

Right; what I want to be able to see is if a call is near by... so I'd like to be able to flip thru and see the map... hoped it was a publicly available map book.

FreeOperator

Premium Subscriber
Likely, they are using a map system developed by County Planning. If you go to the Pierce County Government website you can search around for the planning department and they probably sell the maps.

Almost every county (or city if it's big enough) in Washington sells maps they develop at a premium as a way to raise revenue for services.

It can be difficult to justify purchasing such maps at 5 or 6 bucks a page, but they provide maps that have what is considered the most accurate, agreed upon mapping of their area.

Codes and Maps

There's the link to the county map products.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
That is interesting; too bad, if it were a book like a thomas guide for the region, I'd buy one; but for individual map pages... yikes that would be expensive just for curiosities sake...

thanks
-j

DickH

That is interesting; too bad, if it were a book like a thomas guide for the region, I'd buy one; but for individual map pages... yikes that would be expensive just for curiosities sake...

thanks
-j

Did you look at the site? There are 224 types of maps you can download free.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
I did look -- I couldn't find a cross reference to public safety page and their maps -- moreover; 250 maps t print is a long time printing.... the Thomas guide is pretty nice and durable -- what I'm after isn't "official detail" but how to know where "Map page 34" is...
did I miss that ?

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I've seen this question elsewhere in the past, and the answer was: maps like that are either produced in-house by the agency/department in question, or by the city/county the agency/department is located in.

im800mhz

If it really bothers you, do a Public Disclosure Request of the dispatch agency and ask for all documentation referring to dispatch protocol and procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.