Pierce county outdoor antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I am planning on installing my yagi antenna outside on my roof to monitor my county'seat 700mhz digital radio system. . I was wondering if I could get some input on best mounting pole, type of coax cables, and just other tips. I have never done an install before. Thanks for all the input everyone!! :) Also if anyone is in the Pierce County area are you using a yagi antenna? Any suggestions will be helpful

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Quality coax (low loss) similar to LMR400 and properly installed cable ends is your biggest obstacle. Call your local 2way radio shop, they carry good coax. Tell them your looking for low loss cable for 800mhz. They can pre install cable connectors on one or both ends of the cable.

Don't use multiple cables patched together with barrel connectors or adapters that change the type or gender of the connector. Those contribute to major losses in the antenna system.

Mounting poles can be either PVC (U/V protected) or a metal pole will work. You can paint to match or blend in. Just depends on what your mounting surfaces are.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pierce Co WA

Hello.
I don't presently live in Pierce county, but I am from there and visit often as I have family there. I am fairly familiar with the area/etc.

My first thought was in wondering why you selected a directional antenna. Sure you'll be able to point it directly at some site, but your reception of other sites will likely be less. Are you only interested in what is on 700MHz (and not 450, 150, etc)? This depends on specifically what you intend to monitor. If only Pierce County, OK. How about WA SP? There are a few systems I monitor when up there and many conventional channels as well.

When it comes to the physical installation I believe the issues are (not in any order): location, antenna type, downlead (coax). You're antenna needs to "see" the site you want to monitor. You want an antenna that is suited for the frequencies being received. And you want the best coax you can get (lowest loss at higest desired receive freq).

The other poster is correct with suggesting LMR-400. I am using a generic version of the same coax air-802. Keep the run short (30 feet is better than 40). Figure out where you can install the antenna outside to have the least obstructed view and provide the shortest run for the coax to your radio.

Also: I planned on installing a discone for my dad, but after a little research here on RR I found out he was only 2.5 miles direct shot from one of the towers. While there are several sites, he gets good enough reception with his indoor antenna. If you're up high in Gig Harbor, you might have similar luck.

Last edited:

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
I also vote for lmr400,,,,i have a 75' run and my yagi is pointed toward the orting simulcast which works perfect for my location. Would not work at all with rg58 coax. You being in the harbor more than likely you would receive the Tacoma simulcast best (35th &pine) or the sub-tower on the new narrows bridge. If you have a 436/536 uniden radio you can watch the signal strength meter on the screen for precise aiming. I ordered my lmr from ebay with the matching end to the yagi (most commonly a "n" connector) and a BNC on the other end for the radio. LMR400 is not cheap though, about 75 cents a foot.. Also as a side note, if you can zero in on the Tacoma simulcast, you will also have good ears for the PSRS system also.....mac

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
RG6 vs LMR400

Is quad shielded RG 6 cable ok to use?
The issue is not the shielding per se; it is the signal loss at ~800MHz. A short run of cable (10 feet let's say) will have a small difference. But if you plan to run this from your antenna, then I'd check and calculate the loss you'll have for the length of cable you'll be using. Then compare to what the loss would be with LMR-400 or equiv.

Status
Not open for further replies.